Itchy Skin

Ive noticed in the last week or so that my pup has itchy skin...

He doesn't have flea's (not that Ive seen) and is current with his flea treatment, But lately he will come up to me and I'll give him a rub and a scratch and he will go all stiff and funny like it is the best thing in the world.

He has only started doing this in the last two weeks so it's not really normal behavior for him to find it THAT orgasmic..

He has some red on his skin, and I have also caught him going around in circles trying to bite his leg, which he will bite into when he catches it...

Are their any products I can buy to see if it relieves him a bit?

I was thinking maybe a medicated dog shampoo, at the moment he gets a bath once every two weeks.

I don't think it's the current shampoo or anything as we haven't introduced him to anything new.. and like I said he has only started doing this in the last week or so... :o

If it is fleas they don`t have to be on him to get a reaction. Just one flea bite can cause a reaction and you may never see any fleas because the protection is killing them but not before they are biting him. One usually sure sign of flea allergy is biting at the back legs and bum area. I use a medicated shampoo (costs $30 but is worth it called ecto soothe - found supermarket flea shampoos to be worse than useless).

There are loads of threads on dol regarding flea protection so don`t want to revisit old ground but hope this helps.

My dog recently got a reaction to what we presume was fleas ( we had a visiting dog that we found was coated in them :rofl: and then within a day my dog was beside himself, even tho he was advantaged )

It was driving him and me mad. I tried oatmeal and 'soothing' shampoos etc, to no avail..

Anyway, another breeder recommended Sebazole, by Virbac, before going the vet route with steroid treatment, with the vets blessing.

Two washes, 3 days apart, and no scratching, no heat on the skin! And no problems since.

I don't know how it would go on a puppy, the bottle doesn't say. It was $16? and the vet just ordered it in for me. I don't think it is specifically for allergy reactions, but it sure worked anyway.

The bottle says:

Keratolytic, Keratoplastic, antibacterial, antifungal and antipruritic wash for cats and dogs. For the treatment, in cats and dogs, of keratinisation disorders ( seborrhoea) associated with bacterial (staphyococcal) and yeast ( malassezia) overgrowths. An aid in the treatment of fungal overgrowth( dermatophytes:miscosporum, trichophyton) and pyoderma in dogs and cats. Sounds scary hey...Hope your puppy gets well soon

Other thing is: Dog can develop an allergy to anything, at any time :vomit: .

He could have been fine with his food/ shampoo/ environment etc. in the past, but the same thing could be causing an allergy NOW. Have to look at everything..... PITA.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Thank's for your replys.

I guess I may have been a bit nieve thinking because I couldn't see any fleas he didn't have any..

I went and bought Advantix and gave him an early dose, and also some new dog shampoo with tea tree oil which is ment to be good for miner skin irritations

That was Thursday, and he's fine now, no longer scratching or irritated....

So maybe he was getting bitten/ had fleas?..... :rofl:

Edited by disorder

Also spray around the yard in case there are any still in his environment. I use Malawash (also called Malaban). Just mix it up in a garden sprayer and go over the yard particularly around the areas he sleeps.

Tea Tree oil is very drying and usually makes a dog itchier. Do a DOL search on the wonders of Aloveen Shampoo. Aloe and oatmeal based it is very soothing and made by a veterinary dermatologist at Demrcare (http://www.dermcare.com.au/) There are alot of imitations, but you really can't go past Aloveen. It's also soap free, so safe to use with flea/tick top spots.

Whichever shampoo you end up using, check that it's not going to strip out your top spot!

Aloveen also comes in a Leave In Conditioner, which soothes and moisturises in between baths.

Edited by Dru