Desexing

I spoke to my vet about getting our 15 week stafford girl desexed in the next couple of weeks, as the breeder suggested we do it from about 4 months (and wants the desexing cert before she passes 6 months). The vet said he prefers to do them at about 6 months. He said that while it is not a hard and fast rule that dogs who are done early have urinary incontinence probs when they are very old dogs, anecdotal evidence seems to hint at this.

What do you guys think? I'd love to get it out of the way, but I don't want to inflict incontinence on her in her dotage.....

I believe spay incontinence can happen to dogs that are desexed at any age, but young dogs may be more prone to it. But I am pretty sure that spay incontinence happens fairly soon after the op, not years later when the dog is old?? Any old dog can become incontinent, desexed or not...

I would wait until she is closer to 6 months though. :thumbsup:

Could be that the breeder has early maturing lines and has suggested slightly early desexing so that it is done before the girl has her first season? Eg it's not unheard of for bitches to have their first season around 5 months old.

If you are concerned perhaps ask the breeder why she suggests you desex at that age?

The average time span for onset of spay incontinence is 2.9 yrs after the op, and is more common in larger breeds, but it has been known to happen within weeks.

As your girl isn't even 4 mths old yet she really should be left longer in order to mature her genitalia and bone structure a bit first. She can be booked in for the day she turns 6 mths, which will keep the breeder happy and allow her body a little bit more normal growth.

If she was from extremely early maturing lines I'm sure the breeder would have specified desexing at 4 or 5 mths. It is usually only the toy breeds that can come into season before 6 mths, not large terriers.

i have had a bloodhound (not mine,i bought him later) that was knocking up girls at 9 mths,my girls have all come into season at 7-8 mths and i have a 7 mth old male that is starting to show serious signs of sexual dominance.my desexing rebate applies for males done no later than 7 mths and girls 8 mths.my vets both agree that incontinence is a risk arter desexing at any age,but like pups to be at least 6 mths,although the rescues from the pound they will do from 12 weeks if a smaller dog.

To put in perspective, the health and pregnancy risks of NOT desexing far outweigh the possibility of spay incontinence.

In our council area it's about an extra $130 to register a dog that's not desexed by 6 months (unless you're a registered breeder).

From what age can she get pregnant?

As soon as she comes into season - so if she had her first season at five months, technically she could get pregnant at five months. :) It is not recommended that bitches have a litter until 18-24 months I believe.

Just book her in when she is 5 or so months old and you should be fine. :eek:

He said that while it is not a hard and fast rule that dogs who are done early have urinary incontinence probs when they are very old dogs, anecdotal evidence seems to hint at this.

I've not yet seen any scientific studies that found a link between age of desexing and incidence of incontinence. Only that desexing can lead to it.

As for my anecdotal evidence, my first litter had 5 bitches spayed at 7 weeks old and not one is incontinent. One bitch was desexed at 2 years and *may* be incontinent (we're still working through possibilities).

I wouldn't concern yourself about spay incontinence in making your decision, there are other much more important factors. I would have no problem having a Staffy done at 5 months and I would certainly be listening to the breeder of my dog as to what is best for her. :)

I'd rather take a (slight at worst) risk of incontinence and spey early than take a much larger risk that your bitch becomes pregnant or develops mammary tumours b/c she wasn't speyed before her first season. :thumbsup:

Any time from 3 to 4 months is fine for a staffy...if you delay, you could end up with a pregnant bitch...and not to mention the yuck factor of her in season - and sometimes their behaviour can change markedly during the bleeding phase. :thumbsup: