Seizures And Tiling Adhesive

Just been informed about a t.v show in Canada which highlights that tiling adhesive and carpet glue are not good for dogs and cause seizures.

Apparantly dogs should be kept away from the area whilst it is being done and for up to three months afterwards until the smell disappears.

My own dog had seizures and I am convinced it was because of the tiling adhesive we were using.

Just wanted to post this up because know most people will get new carpets/tiles without knowing of the possible effect on the dogs.

Any toxic chemicals can cause problems in both animals and people - of course for dogs, who are so much closer to the chemical and have a smaller body to help process it are in more strife. You only have to look at the incidence of bladder cancer in dogs who are regularly exposed to lawns full of chemicals.

If chemicals have to be used in the home, vitamin C should be given to reduce the effect of toxins and vitamin D should be given if there is any chance of seizures, as it has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces seizure activity significantly.

I wouldn't give anything to your dog Melbel without discussing it with your Vet first. Many additives can play havoc with the drugs used to treat epilepsy, even a change of diet can alter the rate at which his body will absorb the Pheno.

If anything, the Canine Neurologist that Monte sees suggests giving fish oil caps daily.

........and vitamin D should be given if there is any chance of seizures, as it has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces seizure activity significantly.

Any documents or links to back this one up? I'd be interested in reading them if there is. Epilepsy has nothing to do with inflammation as a rule. Seizures caused by known causes perhaps but certainly not with epilpesy.

Edited by Puggles

There has been a large amount of research into vitamin D lately, and they are finding that it drastically reduces the chance of getting cancer, colds, flu etc. It has been linked with seizure activity for some time, due mainly to it's effect on mineral and electrolyte imbalances.

Rickets, Seizures and Vitamin D

Scientific study - Anti Convulsive Effects of Vitamin D

Links to studies on vitamin D -Links

As anti convulsants reduce vitamin D levels, it should always be supplemented for those on such medication.

The GARD regime has eliminated epilepsy in many dogs and humans - GARD

I had a really good link to vit D/seizure stuff, but can't find it at present..

Melbel, always clear any info with your Vet first.

The fact that certain foods have been linked to epilepsy in humans and dogs is nothing new. It has always been a known fact that grains in particular do nothing for canines.

A low carb and low sodium diet is recommended for epileptic dogs whilst on phenobarbitol. A raw diet or BARF is strongly suggested.

Again, I can not stress the importance enough of not playing with your dogs diet or adding vitamins or supplements unless you have cleared it with your Vet. Many unknowingly lower their dog's seizure threshold by adding things or changing their diet.

Here is some info that is more relevant to your and your dog. I hope it helps;

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/healthydiet.html

Many vets might need to be pointed in the right direction as they might not be up to date with research into vitamin usage.

In one study, supplementing the diet of twenty-three people with epilepsy with vitamin D resulted in a significant decrease in the number of seizures, indicating a possible theraputic effect.**

*Flodin, N. W. (1988) Pharmacology of Micronutrients. New York: Alan R. Liss.

** Christiansen, C. (1974) "Anticonvulsant Action of Vitamin D," British Medical Journal (ii), 2589.

Morgan, Monte's Vet is an expert in Canine Epilepsy in Australia. :happydance2:

The claim on the website you provided (GARD) is not backed up by any evidence. I'd rather see the results of the studies (they show none on their website and yet they claim to 'cure' idiopathic epilepsy) to form an opinion.

As for Vit D being the cure for all, it appears that they are primarily centered around cancers.

Again, I'll repeat that as the dog is being medicated, any changes should be discussed with the vet and contrary advice taken with a grain of salt.

Morgan, Monte's Vet is an expert in Canine Epilepsy in Australia. :happydance2:

The claim on the website you provided (GARD) is not backed up by any evidence. I'd rather see the results of the studies (they show none on their website and yet they claim to 'cure' idiopathic epilepsy) to form an opinion.

As for Vit D being the cure for all, it appears that they are primarily centered around cancers.

Again, I'll repeat that as the dog is being medicated, any changes should be discussed with the vet and contrary advice taken with a grain of salt.

Well said, Puggles. Epilepsy isn't something to be taken lightly as it can and does kill dogs if the medication/s is compromised in any way. I certainly wouldn't take a risk with Molly - any changes I plan to introduce will be discussed with the vet beforehand. :cool: As she's already fed a raw diet, the only changes that I would have would be for supplements. But she's doing just fine without any supplementation so it's not likely to be an issue at least in the foreseeable future.

I basically agree with the advice others have given . . . discuss it with your vet first. BUT there are some vets out there who have fixed attitudes and don't keep up with the literature. No one can know everything, and all competent professionals are open to new information. If you think you can't discuss it with the vet, or your vet isn't willing to listen to the outcomes of studies based on scientific evidence, CHANGE VETS.

Of course veterinary advice should be taken, but not all orthodox medical practitioners are current with research and studies tend to be limited in non pharmaceutical fields anyway, especially when it comes to GARD type regimes.

So where is the AMA on all of this? When Dr. Richard Eby, a well-known medical leader, went to the AMA and asked why they hadn't done any research on primitive societies where the people have no cancer, he was told by the AMA's chief counsel that the purpose of the AMA, if he'd read the by-laws, was to protect its members income. And since their biggest income was from cancer patients, if ever a cure for cancer was found this could eliminate their main income. So, the AMA would make sure that no cancer cure was found or allowed to be recognized in America. Period. And that's exactly what they've been doing.

Could this be part of the reason so few proper studies are conducted on non-chemical methods of treatment of chronic or terminal conditions?

There have been many cases where vitamin D supplementation has enabled the gradual and complete withdrawal of anti-convulsant medications. Under medical supervision of course.