Help! Frozen Chicken Mince.

i think it must depend on the Lenards (they are all franchises) - coz the 2 i use (homebush rhodes and northbridge) both just mince carcasses for the pet mince - exactly the same as the bag of bones.

I always check exactly whats in it when i change supplier!

probably does depend on the owner as a few times i have brought the pet mince from Leonards it seemed really gluggy and had parsley etc through some of it

yep the one I went too said they minced up everything they could not sell if anyone knows a good one that just minced chicken carcases I would love to know ( my dog cant have whole bones ) Im in melbourne

sorry to hyjack the thread

Guest Amy Rose

The Lenards I go to sells fresh and frozen mince. I've never seen anything like parsley or onion in it! Since I've only got the one small dog, I get fresh (if they have it) and put the majority of it into plastic takeaway containers. You can buy them at cheap stores for about $2 for 6 of them, and the mince seems to last 3-4 days thawed in the fridge stored in one. I've defrosted it in the microwave before on a very low heat and let it go for about 20 minutes.

Falling dawn - I'm not 100% sure on the suburb, but I think the one we use is in Richmond? The building has an Ikea in it. I hope you don't use that one too, or I'm going to be paranoid from now on! :rolleyes:

EFS and grammar.

Edited by Amy Rose

The Lenards I go to sells fresh and frozen mince. I've never seen anything like parsley or onion in it! Since I've only got the one small dog, I get fresh (if they have it) and put the majority of it into plastic takeaway containers. You can buy them at cheap stores for about $2 for 6 of them, and the mince seems to last 3-4 days thawed in the fridge stored in one. I've defrosted it in the microwave before on a very low heat and let it go for about 20 minutes.

Falling dawn - I'm not 100% sure on the suburb, but I think the one we use is in Richmond? The building has an Ikea in it. I hope you don't use that one too, or I'm going to be paranoid from now on! :rolleyes:

EFS and grammar.

I'm not Falling Dawn, but the Lenards I'm talking about is the Victoria Gardens one. And they did put everything in it. I know, because I asked and they were quite open about it. There's no reason for them not to be, because it's perfectly legal. That's why it's called pet mince - it's not suitable for human consumption.

I think, however, that they changed hands recently. The new owners might do things differently.

I have bought the frozen Leonards mince before; I certainly wouldnt buy it again; a friend of mine works there and said it's all the rubbish fat and stuff they used to throw away. For a extra dollar or two I'd go to a pet food store and buy the good stuff with no preservatives.

Pretty much all the "fresh" poultry and much of the butchery products sold here is frozen. It comes up from down south frozen. I didn't know this at first until I bought a bag of chicken necks and found they were partially frozen. I then asked every poultry supplier and butcher in my area to find that it's ALL frozen then freighted up here. :laugh:

Oh, well. I have a box of chicken carcasses, still frozen...I plan to thaw them in the bottom of the fridge then bag them up and re-freeze. I think as long as you don't do it at room temperature, it's fine.

BTW - the local Lenards thaws some of their stuff "in the sink". :) That's one reason to buy it frozen.

Oh, well. I have a box of chicken carcasses, still frozen...I plan to thaw them in the bottom of the fridge then bag them up and re-freeze. I think as long as you don't do it at room temperature, it's fine.

I think it's fine too; if you want to save some time and space, there is always the drop technique i.e drop the entire bag on a hard floor when it's starting to thaw to break bonds between the carcasses.

I've thawed and refrozen it, and it's been ok. Must depend on the Lenards store. I used to get it sometimes, and it was carcases minced, bone and meat. Seemed fine, but I have only bought it from one store. The chicken mince I buy from the pet food shop is also frozen, but I use as soon as it is thawed - although I have refrozen without problems.

Cooking is not a good idea, as it destroys the calcium in the bones.

After reading Bommy's disaster with neosporra (sp?) I only feed thawed frozen beef now - bones included.