Pyomentra -

I only seem to post her when I have a crisis or a problem. My little girl dog Pixie has just had emergency surgery. She developed Pyomentra. This is nasty nasty. Pixie was booked in to be spayed in two weeks time. When I got her my vet advised me to let her have her first season then wait two months before spaying her as this would be when her hormone levels were back to normal. She advised me not to have her spayed before her first season as she wouldn't be fully mature and it could have some effect on her growth plates.

Before anyone shouts me down and says it's my fault for not having her spayed - I followed the advice given to me by my vet. A very nice Austrailian lady.

Anyway back to my tail (sic) -

Pixie was out of sorts on Saturday, off her food, waning to lie on my lap all day, and getting more and more lethargic. She had also underwent a personality transformation. She's normally a happy, friendly, funny and placid wee soul but boy did she scare Merlin (her partner in crime) and Archie (ruby KCS staying wth us at the moment). It got to the stage where if either of them looked at her she was growling this really evil growl. Late last night I noticed she had a yeuky green dischage from her vulva and it was very swollen. So I called my Vets out of hours number. I told her all the symptons and she told me to keep an eye on her and if she got worse to call and get her to the surgery but to get her up to the surgery this morning (sunday) at 9am in anycase. Pixie in the long tradition of ill Skinkids and Furkids - perked up and was zooming about the house and garden at 2.30am.

Long and short of it - We were at the vets at 6am this morning and the vet did diagose pyomentra and admited her for surgery. She's on a drip for fluids and antibiotics and I just want her home now but she's to stay overnight at the vets.

Merlin is searching the house and garden for her and giving me hacky looks and wee Archie is looking more dazed and confused than usual. As I type this Merlin looks miserable and depressed and is making more corgi noises than he normally does.

I'd never heard of this potentialy life threatening condition before and I just want other people with little girl dogs to be aware of it.

Edited by Mental Midget

So sorry to hear this, I hope she recovers quickly, She'll be fine I'm sure :)

Closed Pyo can be deadly and kill a dog. I've seen a few with Open Pyo which isn't as severe and can be treated with ABs.

Spaying before or after......both has it's problems, but I agree with your vet, I've seen many dogs spayed/neutered too early and haven't matured right. it both has ups and downs.

I hope she's feeling better soon :laugh:

I don't think she had closed Pyomentra as she did have an alarming amount of discharge coming away from her. I will ask my vet though. I have of course been reading about it and I'm still in a bit of shock as it sinks in just how poorly she was/is and what the outcome could have been if I had decided to wait till tomorrow(Monday) before getting her to the vet. I also have to contact the pet insurance people to see if her op and treatment is covered. Sods law will no doubt apply and I'll be told it doesn't. There goes my new cooker - moved to the back burner again. I'm fortunate in many ways as I do have the funds available at the moment (was for a new cooker - only the hob works on the current one) to pay for her treatment but not everyone who may find themslves with a hefty vet bill to pay have that luxury. I can save up again for a new cooker but it would be impossible to save up for a new Pixie.

Merlin is in the Crazy Combat Corgi Headquarters(pet-crate) with Pixies Scotland coat looking miserable still. He's even let Archie snuggle upto him :laugh:

You ave been extremely unlucky, I have never heard of a bitch developing pyometra after a first season, it is far more common in middle aged or older bitches (5 years+). Your bitch had open pyometra and will soon recover, closed pyometra is far more dangerous.

Edited by Miranda

Pixie is back home now.

My list of instructions from the Vet and the reality.

Don't let her overstretch or put any pressure on her wound - She was bounding about like a loon in the Surgery

We've had trouble getting her to eat. Tempt her with her favorites. - She scoffed the small amount of food I offered and then scoffed Merlin and Archies. They showed no resistance.

Don't let her lick her wound. - Yeah right! On with the Elizabethan Collar.

She is 10 times 100% today than she was yesterday and my plans to confine her somewhere nice and quiet (the pet crate A.K.A Crazy Combat Corgi Head Quarters) have gone up in smoke. She was wanting to rough and tumble play with Merlin and Archie. So Merlin is in the CCC HQ and Archie is in his little KCS house. The expression on her face with the Collar on is priceless and as she has no legs only ankles keeps tripping over it as she is pacing about with her head down.

Thanks to everyone for their reassurances.

No idea on how to stop her scratcing it. Maybe put a lose t- shirt on her so when she scratches she is only getting the material??? The stitches are proably annoying her. Sorry to hear you have had this unfortunate experience. I bet she looks cute with her collar..

T-Shirt could be an idea. I've been watching her this evening and did think of putting socks on her back paws and securing with tape.

I know I'm gonna sound really bad and desperate now - but I will struggle to be able to pay for her to be restitched if she bursts them. As I thought, my pet insurance "had a clause" - so my new cooker fund is now back at minus zero for the time being. I paid £424.25 ( GB pounds Sterling) today and if she pops her stitches I'm looking at about another £100 if she needs restitched. If I have to find it I know I will. Makes me wonder why I bother with Pet Insurance. Mind you who knows what the future could bring for Pixie or Merlin and little Archie.

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

Simply and plainly an uterus full of pus from an infection.

Spey your bitches before they come in season.

cavNrott - Spelling has never came easy to me. :rofl:

oakway-I followed my vets advice. Let her have her first season then have her spayed no sooner than 2 months after her first season. Pixie was booked in to be spayed in August. This happened and she's been spayed a couple of weeks earlier, albeit a more expensive "spaying" than planned.

I still have no reason to question the advice I was given. As Miranda said - I was just unlucky to experience this as it is more associated with older bitches.

Tryamartimmy - I sure have had a close call. I'm so glad I went with my gut instincts and didn't put off getting to the Vet with her.

cavNrott - Spelling has never came easy to me. :rofl:

oakway-I followed my vets advice. Let her have her first season then have her spayed no sooner than 2 months after her first season. Pixie was booked in to be spayed in August. This happened and she's been spayed a couple of weeks earlier, albeit a more expensive "spaying" than planned.

I still have no reason to question the advice I was given. As Miranda said - I was just unlucky to experience this as it is more associated with older bitches.

Nah! it wasn't about your spelling MM. :rofl: I posted the correct spelling because someone asked what it was and I thought better the correct spelling for a Google.

You were unlucky with your dog. I had the same problem with a GSD. She had one season and shortly after she developed an open pyometra. This was some 20+ years ago and the vet gave me the same advice as your vet did....so did the breeder.

cavNrott - Spelling has never came easy to me. :mad

Tryamartimmy - I sure have had a close call. I'm so glad I went with my gut instincts and didn't put off getting to the Vet with her.

Hi,

I wasn't having a shot at you. I have followed your entire storey. I saw what the vet told you.

You can be just plain unlucky. If I wasn't in the situation I am in (breeder) I suppose I would have done what the vet said to do. When I said spey before they come in season, I was usuing your story as an example of what could happen. No matter weather it's in English pounds or Aust. dollars that's still a large ammount of money to pay out. I am sure their are many out there that know and share your feelings. Anyway, the Pixie is home and by your description is well on the mend and that's all that matters.

cavNrott - Spelling has never came easy to me. :mad

Hi,

I wasn't having a shot at you. I have followed your entire storey. I saw what the vet told you.

You can be just plain unlucky. If I wasn't in the situation I am in (breeder) I suppose I would have done what the vet said to do. When I said spey before they come in season, I was usuing your story as an example of what could happen. No matter weather it's in English pounds or Aust. dollars that's still a large ammount of money to pay out. I am sure their are many out there that know and share your feelings. Anyway, the Pixie is home and by your description is well on the mend and that's all that matters.

cavNrott and oakway I have to apologise to you both. My post came across as narky and crabbit. I didn't mean it to.

Pixie is positivley on the road to recovery.

I had her out a little walk earlier today and I have never seen a dog look mortified the way she did when we met Cassie and Scoobie (West Highland Whites) who live near us. I had to put the Elizabethan Collar on when we were out as she kept trying to have a sneeky lick at her stitches without it on. I've also found it stops her zooming about like a loon. She's beside me at the moment with socks on her back paws as I'm worried she might catch her stitches if she tries to have a scratch when she's asleep. I did think of trying a T-shirt but was a bit worried that the air wouldn't be able to circulate round her wound and maybe inhibit healing.

Merlin, not wanting to be left out, also has socks on his back paws and seems to be very pleased with himself. Archie is staying well away incase he gets socks on too.