Sharp Nails!

My two new puppies have extremely sharp nails. I have scratches all over my hands. I have had a look at them and they really dont look overly long. Is this normal? Do i need to trim them? If so can a vet or dog groomer do this? Advice needed urgently. Thanks in advance!

When they walk on a hard surface (eg. tiles or floorboards) can you hear their nails clicking along? If so - this is the general rule I go by anyway - then they are too long and yes, need trimming. Are their nails white or black? If they are white, your job is 10 times easier! Have a close look and you should be able to see a pink bit, called the quick, running through their nail. This is a blood vessel (I think?) and if you cut into this, it will bleed profusely and can be quite painful to your pup. You need proper dog nail cutters (NOT human ones) and take off only a TINY bit at a time, I'm talking a milimetre or so. If they have black nails, the quick is pretty much impossible to see, so I would take them to a vet or experienced groomer the first time round, and hopefully you can watch them and see just how much (or how little!) they take off. Don't forget their dew claws also. Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

It's normal for puppy nails to be sharp (like their teeth ;) ).

I'd suggest:

* Grind down the nails. A rotary tool is efficient for this (e.g. Dremel or Ozito). See: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

* Teach them to not jump up- earlier the better.

Using the dremel, you're unlikely to hit the 'quick'. If you do, it won't bleed nearly as much as if you had used nail cutters. Other disadvantage of the nail cutters is that you still get a sharp edge, so you have to also file them after cutting.

I can't give any better advise than Poodle wrangler has given you.

I also use a grinder to do the dogs nails. I do clip the babies nails

at approximately 2 weeks and from then on, when ever they need it.

My two new puppies have extremely sharp nails. I have scratches all over my hands. I have had a look at them and they really dont look overly long. Is this normal? Do i need to trim them? If so can a vet or dog groomer do this? Advice needed urgently. Thanks in advance!

Hi there. I used to have that problem with my dog as well. I suggest u watch this online video. It teaches you how to do it buy yourself. I think the video is actually better than only reading those words. Here's the link: http://video.about.com/dogs/Clipping-nails.htm

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Joyce