Skim Milk For Puppies

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is true that puppies over 6 months can have small amounts of skim milk?? I don't want to give it to him unitl I am sure. Any info would be appreciated

post-18070-1185334650_thumb.jpg

post-18070-1185334681_thumb.jpg

Once dogs are weaned some of them carnt digest lactose which is the sugar in milk, it doesnt matter if its skim or not it still contains lactose and skims actually got more. My girl gets the runs from milk but shes ok on lactose free but my boy can drink whole milk, skim any sort of milk and it doesnt effect him. Maybe just try him with a bit and see how he goes if he gets diarrea try him on lactose free or just dont give him milk at all. Theres a puppy milk in supermarkets as well but its expensinve and pretty crap ingrediants.

thanks for fast reply Paganman

I wondered about the lactose but I was told by someone (who is apparently lactose intollerant) that skim milk is very low is lactose. I don't know :laugh: I think I will try him on a little bit and see how it goes. I just wanted to see if I could put a bit on his dry food as he seems to like it moist. (I put some warm water on it the other day and he scoffed it).

Ok I this will show I am a newbie but aren't all dogs lactose intollerant???? :laugh: Is this wrong??

Thats is what I have always been told. I hadn't though of buying the human lactose free milk. Thanks for that I will give it a go.

post-18070-1185336161_thumb.jpg

Ok I this will show I am a newbie but aren't all dogs lactose intollerant???? :laugh: Is this wrong??

Thats is what I have always been told. I hadn't though of buying the human lactose free milk. Thanks for that I will give it a go.

Most dogs fed cows milk as pups develop a tolerance for lactose. I give the odd bit of skim milk to my dogs. My oldest boy tends not to drink much when we travel but he will happily guzzle skim milk.. so he gets some.

Guest Pandii

I drink skim milk and I have found out over the years that 1 dog gets the runs from the milk and 1 doesnt, I havent given any to the puppy.

Personally I dont normally feed milk as they dont need it, the only time mine get it is when the kids leave half a glass sitting around I tip it in the dog dish

Why would you wish to give your dog milk, given the potential issues with it? There is no real benefit to the dog that can't be met by other means.

Hi Dogs4Fun, this is why I started this topic. I did not know if there were any potential issues with it?? I wanted to ensure it was ok before I gave it too him so as not to cause him any problems. I haven't had a dog for 10 years and alot of information has changed in that time. I just thought he might like some warm milk on his dry food in the morning as it is cold here.

Thanks

the only time mine get it is when the kids leave half a glass sitting around I tip it in the dog dish

Yeah I was thinking the same when my daugther left her cereal this morning (and most other mornings) but thought I'd check on here first

Just use some warm water if your want to warm up his brekkie. I'm sure he'll enjoy it just as much. And no chance of it giving him diarrhoea!!

Why would you wish to give your dog milk, given the potential issues with it? There is no real benefit to the dog that can't be met by other means.

Hi Dogs4Fun, this is why I started this topic. I did not know if there were any potential issues with it?? I wanted to ensure it was ok before I gave it too him so as not to cause him any problems. I haven't had a dog for 10 years and alot of information has changed in that time. I just thought he might like some warm milk on his dry food in the morning as it is cold here.

Thanks

As others have indicated, the potential problem is simply the runs. Not a serious problem, and easy to diagnose. My dogs love milk and when I have milk that goes off, I give it to them. I've never had any problems. There are cheaper and healthier foods for a puppy, but apart from making things a bit harder to clean up, I can't see why its a problem.

Note, dog (ok bitch . . . ok canine) milk is very high fat, so I would be inclined to use full cream rather than skim milk. The lactose content is the same. Lactose is a sugar. It stays behind when they skim off the cream.

Our boy also loves the occassional bit of milk but I usually dilute it with water - mainly more water then milk.

For our elderly rottie I used to use the powdered animal milk (can't remember the name but it starts with D) with an egg and some extra supplements to help him with his weight loss. I just beat it all together and he loved it.

I gave my dogs some pumpkin and sweet potato mash that had thai spices and sweet chili sauce in it (recipe gone wrong so gave it to the garbage guts x2) - tasted it myself and while it was a tad spicy, thought I'd give them a big bowl of milk each afterwards to tame any trace of chili - they gulped the lot and no runny poos at all!

:thumbsup:

Just thought I'd let you all know he really enjoyed his breakfast this morning which was dryfood with warm water and the left over cereals (with milk) from the kids. I just wont do it everyday. Thanks for all the helpful info :thumbsup:

Guest Pandii

ashan if he has no effects youshould be right, I often give left over ceral and milk from the kids but mix it with the rest of their food and all is good.

If you dog gets the runs stop feeding it, otherwise you should be ok