Toilet Troubles....

Kate_19

Hey,

I brought home a 6 week old Tibetan Spaniel cross Maltese today. And i know that 6 weeks is quite young but he had been rejected from his Mum now and is eating by himself and stuff. I checked it with the vet before i brought him home.

I've had him for about 6 hours now and he hasnt used his bowels... He has urinated fine. Hes been eating and drinking puppy milk and water. His belly also feels tight.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? Or am i just being paranoid?!?

Thanks!

Kate.

I don't know that much about puppy's and their bowel movements, but maybe he hasn't gone because he hasn't had any solids?? I've no idea though, sorry...

All the best with it :-)

Do you have any pics?

Rhi & Jak (even though she's AWOL tonight!)

Don't panic.

If he hasn't had a solid meal in 6 hours, chances are he's not got anything to eliminate. Wait until after he's had a solid meal .. then take him out and expect results.

6 weeks is very young to get a pup. Has he had his first vaccination yet?

Wow, can't believe I was on the right track. Amazing hahahahaha.

Jak was only 6.5 weeks when I got her, but in hindsight with everything I now know (and didn't before!), I wouldn't have brought her home before 8 weeks.

Kate you mentioned he had been rejected by his mum? That's so sad :-(

When I go away my biological toilet 'habits' tend to get a bit inhibited too :thanks: . (So - now you all know :worship::thumbsup:.) You've only had him 6 hours. Give him a bit more time to settle and relax. A little play, when and if he's up for it, might help him with his movements. :rock:

Don't panic.

If he hasn't had a solid meal in 6 hours, chances are he's not got anything to eliminate. Wait until after he's had a solid meal .. then take him out and expect results.

6 weeks is very young to get a pup. Has he had his first vaccination yet?

I gave him some puppy natural Pal, and i know that its not great stuff but thats what hes been fed on by his old owner so i will gradually get him onto a better diet. None of our pups have ever had can food as puppies, its just that i don't want to change this little ones diet rapidly.

Hes booked in for his first Vaccination on Tuesday and i wormed him today as soon as i got him.

He otherwise seems happy, playing with toys and sleeping. I have given him a little bit of food tonight and hes been drinking water..

Its been 8 years since my Border Collie was a puppy, so it should all come back to me soon..i hope! haha

Canned dog food is about 80% water... not much there to "produce".

If he hadn't eliminated by this time tomorrow I'd be more concerned but canned food is pretty much guaranteed to cure any constipation. :thumbsup:

If his demeanor is OK, I'd not be too worried. Is there any chance he's done a sneaky poo somewhere you didn't notice? It would only be tiny.

Thanks for all your replies!

I know 6 weeks is very young, but i was worried if i didn't take him on something bad might happen and i would regret it. And as i said, i discussed it with the vet and everything.

He apparently had not been wormed at all too (very bad i know), could that have something to do with it? I wormed him straight away today, and it says on the bottle to do it again tomorrow. Its a Liquid one from the Vet.

I've also attached a pic of the little boy!

post-16777-1185537576_thumb.jpg

He's very cute!!!

I'm not sure about the impact of the worming drops... but just keep an eye on things. I expect when he does go, it might contain worms... not uncommon in unwormed puppies I gather. Did he have littermates?

He's very cute!!!

I'm not sure about the impact of the worming drops... but just keep an eye on things. I expect when he does go, it might contain worms... not uncommon in unwormed puppies I gather. Did he have littermates?

He had 2 little sisters, one went to its new home at just over 5 weeks and is apparently doing really well. And the other little one is still with the owner. Mine is the largest of the litter, hes quite solid and healthy looking i think. Hes currently snuggled up in his bed with a ticking clock and a hot water bottle!

Another thing i just want to check, is bathing him? I asked a lady at the Vet, i think she was a nurse. And she said it would be ok to bath him now aslong as i use a mild puppy shampoo, warm water and dry him properly. Cos he has abit of a smell about him but i dont mind putting up with it if its not safe to bath him yet!

Thanks for all your replies!

I know 6 weeks is very young, but i was worried if i didn't take him on something bad might happen and i would regret it. And as i said, i discussed it with the vet and everything.

He apparently had not been wormed at all too (very bad i know), could that have something to do with it? I wormed him straight away today, and it says on the bottle to do it again tomorrow. Its a Liquid one from the Vet.

I've also attached a pic of the little boy!

We got Ellie at 6 weeks, but were told she was 8 :mad Same situation, no vaccination, worming tabs or anything. She was VERY quiet and UN interactive for a good few days. I remember following her every movement (lol no pun intended there :rofl: ) to check for worms as she was really quite sick and I wanted confirmation that the little blighters were coming out, we did the happy dance when we found them 2 days later

If you have done the worm treatment, just hang in there, a bit of food and a bit of play combined with the worm tab, you should see some movement! Im not sure how long to wait but most def by tomorrow I should think???

Good luck :thumbsup:

ETA: I personally wouldnt bath for a while yet, let him settle first. You can buy pet cologne at the shops that smells really nice, just spray that and brush him through. Not sure how long to wait, perhaps someone else can help??

Edited by joelle

He is pretty cute!

Well good news today, hes been to the toilet!

I took him outside this morning and he went straight away, i though him being so young that he would do it inside on the newspaper just like he pees there! But he only likes to do it outside, which is great of course!

As i said before, hes going to the Vet Tuesday for his first vaccination so no doubt i will have a lot of questions to ask her! Because i want to get him on a better diet than can food ASAP.

.......As i said before, hes going to the Vet Tuesday for his first vaccination so no doubt i will have a lot of questions to ask her! Because i want to get him on a better diet than can food ASAP.

Have a quick search for "food" and you'll come up with so much info on DOL your head will spin. Some of the ingredients used in pet food are truly gross.

Word of warning, some vets sell Hills Science Diet and although it has a premium price, it's main ingredient is corn, so I'd give it a miss. You'll also pay a premium at the vet. They have Hills Puppy Packs- our vet gives them as freebies- take one of those and say you'll think about it :( . DOL favourites seem to be Eagle Pack, Nutro, Royal Canin which are the more expensive brands. I tried my dogs on Purina One which is a supermarket food with reasonable ingredients- they had a trial where they reimburse you for your first bag (sign up on their website)- my dogs seemed to like the food and look good on it. Poos OK (some foods make the poo patrol a nightmare). I also feed raw bones, chicken carcasses (larger dog), chicken necks, roo meat etc. I'm not recommending any dry food, but not everyone can afford $80-90/ 15kg bag.

Chicken necks, chicken wings are in supermarkets and are great as fresh food for one of pups meals. They love to chew.

I would only bath your pup if you can make sure that he does not get cold AT ALL .. i.e. you will have to dry him completely and sit with him near a heater unless you live in the tropics. Cold stresses them a lot. He appears to have thick fur, too.

I took Barney to the Vet tuesday for his first vaccination and health check, all went well. We spoke about his diet, and she gave me an Advance puppy pack with some dry food in it. What do people think of Advance? I haven't heard much about that one.

At first, i got him some Optimum dry food and can food. Hes now having chicken necks too which he loves. I mix in some rice with the can food. But yeh i would like to get him onto something better now that hes settled into his new home!

I have an 8 yr old Border Collie, and his diet is chicken necks, chicken wings, pasta, rice, some vegies occasionally and some dry food.

I did end up bathing Barney, i checked it with the vet before hand and she said he should be fine but to keep him warm, dry him properly etc. He didn't mind it too much, obviously it was all new to him so he wriggled a little and stuff. I dried him well and sat with him by the heater untill he was completely dry, then he was back playing again straight away!

Also, what do you guys think of the Pedigree (Pal) Puppy milk?? And the poridge? My pups only had the milk, he seems to love it. I only give him a little bit though.