Incontinence In Bitches

horus

I have been using Propalin to contol Ellie's incontinence for a well over a year, this is the first time she has been on medication for it, and am finding that the Propalin isn't always effective. I have been back to the vet's a couple of times to get the dosage right, but nevertheless, it always seems to be only ever an intermittent control. Another DOLer said to me the other day that she is also using Propalin and finds that it loses effectiveness once near the end of the bottle. I am now using the last of a bottle and it has lost effectiveness.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just coincidence? I asked the vet about this and she was very interested, but had not had anyone else comment on this.

Also, I notice that Ellie's incontinence can manifest itself after exercise. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

My girl was on it for around 2 years - at which time we stopped because it became ineffective (new bottle or not) and the side effects were unacceptable (couldn't increase dose).

I never noticed a dropoff at the end of the bottle - but it's an interesting thought - it does have a shortish shelf life...

after exercise, before exercise, 10 minutes after a pee ... suki can be incontinent any old time.

What does the vet say is the cause of the incontinence?

Has a recent urine sample been taken? It's a very basic test to do and could suggest other problems contributing to the incontinence.

If she's quite elderly, 'doggy dementia' can make the problem worse. Lots of other health problems could, too.

Ellie has had urine tests done a couple of times, all was clear. Last test was in May this year. Ellie is now 9 and incontinence has been suggested as being due to desexing, as can sometimes happen. Should add that urine samples were sent away and tested in a lab, not exactly sure what they were looking for, but I assume everything possible, as it was quite expensive on both occassions. Ellie has no other health problems.

Ellie was initially on 1/2 ml per day and now is up to 3/4 ml twice a day, ie 1.5 ml per day. Vet advised today that increasing the dose above 1.5 ml may have side affects, so we are now going to try 1/2 ml 3 times a day ie still 1.5 ml per day.

Thank you very much for your replies. :(

I have found the pills work better for me, have used the last ones so can’t tell you the name of them but works better than propalin. The only disadvantage that I can see with them is that occasionally if I overdose her she becomes very attractive to males. Millie only needs a pill about every 3 or 4 days to control her whereas she was getting the propalin daily and it wasnt working all that well. I have also read a lot about the use of cornsilk in these issues, might be work thinking about

Edited by cowanbree

Ellie has had urine tests done a couple of times, all was clear. Last test was in May this year. Ellie is now 9 and incontinence has been suggested as being due to desexing, as can sometimes happen. Should add that urine samples were sent away and tested in a lab, not exactly sure what they were looking for, but I assume everything possible, as it was quite expensive on both occassions. Ellie has no other health problems.

Ellie was initially on 1/2 ml per day and now is up to 3/4 ml twice a day, ie 1.5 ml per day. Vet advised today that increasing the dose above 1.5 ml may have side affects, so we are now going to try 1/2 ml 3 times a day ie still 1.5 ml per day.

Thank you very much for your replies. :laugh:

I was thinking of a urine dip-stick test which can be done in the surgery. Will pick up sugar in the urine (possible diabetes), protein, blood (possible kidney disease or infection) and specific gravity (possible overdrinking or body not handling fluid balance correctly). May is recent, but obviously older dogs are prone to more health problems just because they're older.

The one that was sent away was probably looking for infection and goes to a lab, hence the expense. If you know a nurse, ask them to do one for you at work.

Poor Ellie. Does hormone replacement plus Propalin have much success in dogs?

Dip stick test was also done, I recall discussing that with the vet at the time, as those tests were clear, she suggested sending a sample off to the lab in case there was something else, just to be safe.

I know that it is only early into this thread but 3 of us are now saying that Propalin may become ineffective? That is interesting.

Dip stick test was also done, I recall discussing that with the vet at the time, as those tests were clear, she suggested sending a sample off to the lab in case there was something else, just to be safe.

I know that it is only early into this thread but 3 of us are now saying that Propalin may become ineffective? That is interesting.

Your vet would have sent the urine off to the lab to do a Culture and Sensitivity (C&S) test, which involves trying to culture any bacteria present in the urine and then seeing what anti biotic it is sensitive to. Rules out bacterial UTI.

Hi There!

My old dobe bitch was on Stilboestral for a while but since it was ongoing, my vet recommended Sudafed! From memory it was only half a Sudafed every second day and it was cheaper than the previous medication. In his later years my shepherd also became incontinent but he had to remain on Propalin because aparently the Sudafed is more suited to bitches than dogs! Speak to your vet about it since it is an option.

Cheers

Cairo1

Guest kitakins

gee i hope it doesnt lose effectiveness with kuma. she is now on it. however she is only on a 1/3 of the recommended dose. that was all that was needed to control her incontinence and the rec dose made her extremely hyper.

I am pretty sure a friend of mine has suggested the same - I know it is definately Propalin that she uses. Her dog's been on it for a couple of years now.

Edited by Erny

gee i hope it doesnt lose effectiveness with kuma. she is now on it. however she is only on a 1/3 of the recommended dose. that was all that was needed to control her incontinence and the rec dose made her extremely hyper.

Suki is an akita too (I'm assuming Kuma is, given your ID and her name)

She was on 1/2 rec dose - also hyper on full dose. She's now 10 - has been off it at least a year - tried stilboestrol but it cause vaginal bleeding (she's speyed).

When we took her off it she became a much happier dog - I'm convinced that it made her feel crappy (my technical term for sub-clinical side effects).