Bones

when i give my dog raw marrow bones i notice that after a week or so of being in the yard they become more brittle and im worried he may have problems digesting them. He is a papillon so it takes him ages to get thru a marrow bone. Should i take them off him after a week or so and chuck them?

IMO, yes, chuck them as soon as they dry out.

Bones that dry out become tougher, more likely to splinter, and more likely to chip your dog's teeth (this is especially true of big weight bearing bones like marrow bones).

:)

I have a pap, and the vet recommended brisket bones. I get a bag at woolies for about 5 bucks, and freeze them to hand out one by one. My guy actually gnaws away and eats the whole bone eventually. Last time at the vet, he had no tartar buildup either, so must be helping :)

Edited by kymbo

I heard that the sun can dry the bones out and they can splinter - much like a cooked bone. I don't know how long that takes though.

Personally I have been throwing my dog's bone out after 24 hours of it being outside. He is mostly done with it by then anyway :)