Clever Collar

They sell them at our obed club but I haven't had a good look at them yet :love:. I have heard good things about them though :)

I've sent them an email and they're sending me out one to try :laugh: ,i sell other dog related products so will see what they're like and may start selling them if i think they're ok

• 1 month later...
Please come back and give us feedback! ;) :cry:

I have been using the Clever Collar for around 8 months now and here is my review

The Clever_Collar is a limited slip collar which is also used as the dogs everyday collar which means that I can use for training without having to take it off afterwards, also made from soft material it is gentler and not as harsh as the choke chain or spike collar.

Also being adjustable means I can control the level of correction the dog receives as a trainer this is an important and unique aspect for me, oh I forgot again unlike choke chains if you put it on incorrectly the dog can still breathe and it doesn't mark or cut the dogs fur.

All in all the Clever_Collar offers excellant training and animal welfare outcomes It is a fantastic design and if you can get one then as far as I am concerned you should... all collars suitable for training should be like the Clever_Collar.

Regards

Lidermar

oh I forgot again unlike choke chains if you put it on incorrectly the dog can still breathe ...

Would you mind expanding on what you've said above. I'm not sure that I am reading it as you might have intended.

And would you mind telling as to whether you've used a martingale in the past and if so, the advantages you find of the Clever Collar over that?

Edited by Erny

I'd be interested in more feedback too.

One advantage that I can see over the martingale is that you can get a buckle adjustment rather than a slide. Would make the fitting less fiddly than a martingale esp on a struggling dog. However I'd prefer the correction 'loop' for want of a better word to be made from chain though cuz I reckon the sound of the chain is a good behaviour interrupter if you need it.

Please come back and give us feedback! ;) :cry:

I have been using the Clever Collar for around 8 months now and here is my review

The Clever_Collar is a limited slip collar which is also used as the dogs everyday collar which means that I can use for training without having to take it off afterwards, also made from soft material it is gentler and not as harsh as the choke chain or spike collar.

Also being adjustable means I can control the level of correction the dog receives as a trainer this is an important and unique aspect for me, oh I forgot again unlike choke chains if you put it on incorrectly the dog can still breathe and it doesn't mark or cut the dogs fur.

All in all the Clever_Collar offers excellant training and animal welfare outcomes It is a fantastic design and if you can get one then as far as I am concerned you should... all collars suitable for training should be like the Clever_Collar.

Regards

Lidermar

Sounds like you're selling them :D.

All the equipment in the world is no substitute for a little training, done often.

I have seen a sample, and played around with it and chose not to buy one.

The reason being, they are a lot of fiddling and adjusting when going from one collar to the other.

It is just not suitable for what I do, but others may find them OK if they dont mind, swapping, adjusting etc every time you need to use it for a different purpose.

Mine dont have collars on at home so I just find it easier to quickly put on the limited slip over their heards, or martingale on Vinnie "Mr Stubborn" :cry:

oh I forgot again unlike choke chains if you put it on incorrectly the dog can still breathe ...

Would you mind expanding on what you've said above. I'm not sure that I am reading it as you might have intended.

And would you mind telling as to whether you've used a martingale in the past and if so, the advantages you find of the Clever Collar over that?

Yes I have used the martingale collars or show collars as they used to be known as, the advantages of the clever collar over most martingale collars are;

1) metal buckle

2) The Clever Collar is also the dogs everyday collar which means that i can leave it on the dog unsupervised.

3) the Clever Collar is purpose built for dog training.

4) if you are not familiar with choke chains and u put it on wrong it fails to release thereby choking the dog even when they r not pulling.

Please come back and give us feedback! ;) :)

Regards

Lidermar

Sounds like you're selling them ;).

All the equipment in the world is no substitute for a little training, done often.

You wanted feedback you now have it. I do not sell the collars just use them.

The reason being, they are a lot of fiddling and adjusting when going from one collar to the other.

It is just not suitable for what I do, but others may find them OK if they dont mind, swapping, adjusting etc every time you need to use it for a different purpose.

Mine dont have collars on at home so I just find it easier to quickly put on the limited slip over their heards, or martingale on Vinnie "Mr Stubborn" :)

Thats the beauty of the Clever Collar you do not need to put on or take off collars, u say ur dogs do not wear a collar at home what if they should get out... accidents do happen heaven forbid.

Edited by lidermar

if you are not familiar with choke chains and u put it on wrong it fails to release thereby choking the dog even when they r not pulling.

Ahhhh ..... now I see where you are coming from. Yes, I agree that putting the chain on the wrong way around results in the chain not releasing after tension/correction is applied, although generally it won't stay so tight as to stop the dog breathing or causing it to choke.

Thanks for your response. It puzzled me.

Cheers!

Erny

Edited by Erny

if you are not familiar with choke chains and u put it on wrong it fails to release thereby choking the dog even when they r not pulling.

Ahhhh ..... now I see where you are coming from. Yes, I agree that putting the chain on the wrong way around results in the chain not releasing after tension/correction is applied, although generally it won't stay so tight as to stop the dog breathing or causing it to choke.

Thanks for your response. It puzzled me.

Cheers!

Erny

try it on yourself and see the discomfort u have trying to breathe

Mine dont have collars on at home so I just find it easier to quickly put on the limited slip over their heards, or martingale on Vinnie "Mr Stubborn" ;)

Thats the beauty of the Clever Collar you do not need to put on or take off collars, u say ur dogs do not wear a collar at home what if they sould get out... accidents do happen heaven forbid.

I dont like collars, especially on my BC as it splits the hair around his neck, and they're inside when I'm not home so they cant get out, thank heavens :)

Maybe the person demonstrating them to us, was not doing it properly, as it had to be taken off and adjusted every time they wanted to use it as a limited slip, and then taken off and adjusted again when putting back to a standard collar.

This was at least a good 12 months ago, so they could've changed since then, or had no idea what they were doing.

Edited by BC

I have one trialling at the moment.

The buckle adjustment is great as you get a quicker and better fit than a slide adjustment on some martingale collars.There is an adjustment to be done when you go from regular collar to the slip style martigale as you release the clip on the side to give you the slip collar than re adjust the buckle to the correct sizing,so no actual taking collar off,more a undoing of the buckle than moving it along and redoing up.

I'm also looking into getting leather 1/2 check collars in stock shortly that have a buckle which should prove popular.I particuarly like the idea of collars having a buckle instead of a slide especially with long coated dogs as a slide adjustment tend to get caught up in the hair