What On Earth Is Wrong?

Mil

Our 6mth old Bichon had us completely mystified last night. :provoke:

He has quite a barking problem at the moment (a whole other issue we need help with) and spent all evening going outside and barking and didn't settle down at about 9pm like he usually does. So when we went to go to bed, he had only settled down for about 20mins. We popped him into his crate to go to bed and he vomited (we think it must have been the worming tablet that we gave him) so we had to get him out again to change his blankets. He then got a bit worked up and really didn't want to get back into his crate again.

He has always, from the first night we got him, been super at night. He always settles down within 5min of going to bed and when he was little he would scratch to go to the toilet and then settle straight back down again after. Weeelllll...last night he just didn't settle down and scratched and scratched and whined. So we took him to the toilet because we thought he might still feel sick and need to go again, which he did but he didn't settle down again and scratched for hours and hours. It was just so out of character we were worried. At 3am my hubby got so desperate for sleep that he actually took him for a walk :whip: and after that he settled down and we all got about 3hrs sleep until he started again at 6.30am. :(

Today he seems normal and did sleep this morning but he still hasn't slept as much as he does some days. Isn't he tired? (we are :( ) Do dogs get insomnia? We don't even know if this is a health thing or a behavioural thing. Should we take him to the vet? It was just so out of character. :scold:

So sorry for writing a novel we're just really thrown, and worried, and really don't want it to happen again. :) Any advice or opinions would we great, thanks.

He may have been restless and uncomfortable due to stomach pain.

Or he may simply be turning into a teenager.. he's about the right age.

This thread might be useful to read. The key to surviving these lapses in previously established training is to be firm and consistent in maintaining the standards you have set. If this happens again without any signs of illness I'd say your new teenager is pushing the envelope. Equip yourself and hubby with some comfortable earplugs and ride it out.

Edited by poodlefan

OOOhh yep he's a teenager ratbag at the moment alright. So far all the things he is doing are things that he used to do, and then learnt not to, and they are now reappearing again eg biting to get us to play. :provoke:. So I'm really hoping that he isn't now including things that were never a problem as well.

Thanks for your help, maybe he did have stomach pains, we definitely won't be using that wormer again anyway, poor pup.

Was it drontil?

yep it was, the chewy one, I think he chewed it, but it must just not agree with him.

Some dogs cant tollerate it. We have three bichon's across the road that dont stop barking when they are outside. Usually at nothing much at all, but their owner keeps them inside at night thank god.

So is it a particularly bichon thing? He gets really carried away at people or dogs walking past, but sometimes I can't see anything at all, or it will be just a tiny noise and he will run outside barking. :provoke:

Edited by Mil

YEP :provoke: probably getting to that cocky age where he has discovered his voice and hormones.... :scold:

No, im not sure if its a bichon thing, but perhaps really get ontop of it now. Make sure he knows its wrong to carry on like that. Be consistant.

He discovered his voice and fell in love with it about 2 mths ago, hopefully he doesn't have too many hormones anymore, cos he just had the snip.

We're not quite sure how to stop it apart from distracting him, calling him inside and rewarding him for being quiet. It can get very annoying though, so really don't want it to become a habit for the sake of us and our neighbours. :provoke: (I think that's why it's stressing me out cos everytime I'm worried about annoying the neighbours.)

its a tricky thing. a quick BAH and a stomp of the foot if you sneak up behind him perhaps whilst he is barking.

My neighbour just bought a cintronella collar for her lab x. From four hours of barking in the afternoon to nothing. Total bliss.

Good luck :provoke:

Fortunately it is more of a woof than a high pitched yap, although it is very loud. When I was researching breeds, it seemed like bichons were the only toy breeds without a reputation for barking ah well. :laugh:. He has been better the last couple of days.

The not sleeping thing seems to have been a one-off. He's been completely normal the last couple of nights, so I think he must have been feeling unwell. Still a bit nervous, but getting more confident each night.