Rimadyl And Diarrhea

I took Leah 5 month old Goldie puppy to the vet on Friday as she had been limping during the week.

He couldn't determine what the problem was but put her on Rimadyl, [Norocarp] for 5 days and rest.

I hadn't noticed any improvement yesterday, and at 3am she woke me, went outside to do a poop. Settled down again until 6am out again and explosive diarrhea. :eek: She's now scared of her bottom and her poop as it was so noisy. :cool: She's going through a fear period.

I'm presuming that the culprit is the medication, and will ring the vet when they open.

Damn, I can't take a trick at the moment.

Am cooking chicken fillets and rice.

Anyone else had this on the Norocarp?

This is a common reaction to Rimadyl yet Vets do not tell you this

Report the reaction to www.avpma.gov.au and your Vet

Metacam nearly killed my girl . have a look at www.dogsadversereactions .com- you wil be mortified as I was

No more non-steriodal anti-inflammatories( NSAIDs) for my dogs

Call your Vet and let them know, your dog may need to be rehydrated via a drip .

This class of medicines need to be dosed with food, otherwise (just like with people) they can cause gastric upset.

I'd suggest giving your pup the dose with a meal...this should stop the gastric upset. But definitely contact the vet b/c it's best to advise them of such reactions so it can be noted on the history. :laugh:

I've rung the vet and he says that it's unlikely to be the Rimadyl. :rolleyes: He said that the usual gastric reaction is ulceration. :laugh:

I was giving them with a meal to avoid problems, but I've stopped them now and am fasting her until later today. She's bright, happy and hungry which is a good sign. We'll have to see how her leg goes.

She has a really sensitive tummy and I've just got her right after cocci.

Thanks everyone.

Leah has much improved this morning.

I only fed her small amounts of chix and rice yesterday and gave her a few doses of Peptosyl. This morning her poop was back to normal. I can't believe how explosive it was yesterday.

I still feel it was the Rimadyl and the more I read about it the scarier it is.

No more NSAIDS for us. I will be looking for another Vet. Have been getting the run around too much lately with this one.

Have to say, "it's not the NSAID" was the first thing I thought of, too. Many things can cause gastro. Then I read on the internet that diarrhoea could be a side effect of Rimadyl- couple of sites :o .

NSAIDS are commonly used by many humans because the pain relief is worth the risk of side effects. NSAIDs are effective drugs and all drugs have side effects.

Agree that you should find another vet if you're not happy with them. They should have told you about potential side effects.

Observe your dog. If they cope well without the Rimadyl, that'd be great, but don't discount medication to improve her quality of life. There are some others you could try.

There's always the basics like keeping dog lean, glucosamine-chondritin supps, fish oil supps and even gentle exercise in water (if that's available).

Best wishes for leah :whiteflag:

I have just been talking to my cousin (who is vet trained but not working as a vet) about my 4 year old Goldie who has what appears to be arthritis but not sure.

I mentioned I was taking him to the vet to get his limp checked out and the immediate response was DO NOT USE RIMADYL!!

Google it and you will find a host of bad stories about the fatal effects it has.

My cousin said if I decide to use what the vet prescribes, use Metacam (interesting to hear another post's experience with it though so that has put me right off!)

Have a look at this website www.brookbyherbs.co.nz

Look under Dog Health and then look for Free Mover

Otherwise check out www.herbal-treatments.com.au (Robert McDowell's website for natural herbal remedies.

You may only have an acute problem at present, but many Goldies and other breeds end up with arthritis so you may find this info useful in years to come.

:laugh:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

I don't usually contribute, but I couldn't go past this one.

2 1/2 yrs ago we lost our 12 yo GSD x Collie, due to Rimadyl. She was on a high dose due to severe arthritis, but we were never told about how dangerous this medication is. When she first started with Rimadyl, only 1/2 tab a day only if necessary, she coped with it. But as she got worse, she ended up on 3 tabs p/d. Within less than 2 weeks she was pts.

Signs are passing blood, diarrhea, lethargic, vomiting - the list goes on.

I would strongly advise anyone to treat any of these drugs with caution. I will not give them to any of my pets again. I changed my dogs diets over to all raw after researching about arthritis and cancer.

I ask you to please do a google search on RIMADYL and learn all that you can. I hope that no one ever has to watch the pain and suffering that Rimadyl can put a dog through. I felt that my beautiful old girl should have passed with dignity, I believe that instead she was murdered by the drugs that I gave her.

In your research you will find that Rimadyl has a very high death rate all over the world. Strangely enough the highest death rate is with Labradors. This is not the wonder drug that it is claimed to be. I personally wish that it was taken off the market.

Since your dog is so young I would only use all natural diet and supplements as soon as possible. I would hate to hear of another dog going through what mine did.

I am a groomer and have tried to warn many people from using Rimadly, sadly only to get that dreaded phone call telling me that they had lost their dog because of a bad reaction to that drug.

Good luck and please do the research.

Lisa.