20wk Sheltie Puppy With Gastro

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help me.

I have a 20 wk female sheltie puppy who i bought a few weeks ago. Rewormed her on Friday night with my other dogs and she has had gastro on and off for the past 2 days. She did have worms.

She is eating drinking and playing normally.

Not sure whether just to ride it out or take her to the vet ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mel

If in doubt always the vet. Two days is a long time for a young dog. Is she vomiting as well as having diarrhea? Puppies can dehydrate really easily.

Have you changed her diet at all? Young dog's can be sensitive to changes in diet.

If in doubt always the vet. Two days is a long time for a young dog. Is she vomiting as well as having diarrhea? Puppies can dehydrate really easily.

Have you changed her diet at all? Young dog's can be sensitive to changes in diet.

Hi,

Not vomitting at all, and the gastro is not continuous and she is eating and drinking happily and playing. She is not dehydrated.

She ate some of our older dogs food but was only a few biscuits.

Mel

If she did pass worms, her intestines may be eroded a little from the worm infestation which may be causing the diarrhoea. I would include probiotics into her food to keep the intestinal flora in good shape. Wait for about a week and if the diarrhoea does not subside, she may need some gut antibiotics to settle down any possible invasive bacteria.

You should worm her again 10 days from the first worming to make sure there are no more maturing worms and then again in another 10 days.

Edited by Scales of Justice