Ears

ncarter

Hi guys,

I was wondering product you can use to clean a dogs ears? Do you apply it with cotton wool balls?

Also what happens with dogs that need to have their ear hairs plucked at the vet? Is this because they have in grown hairs or what?

Cheers

I clean dogs ears with baby wipes, and only the inside flaps. Never dig down in to the dogs ears to clean.

There are some products out but I have never used them, but I'm sure someone on here has.

The long haired dogs need their ears plucked to prevent matting in their ear canal, just like the hair would matt on their body, and let air in and help prevent infections.

I have seen it that bad, that the entire ear was completely plugged with 1 solid matt. I wasn't going to pluck that one. I sent them to the vet. I have also plucked hair out that has grown down the ear canal and has come out about 10cm long and bright yellow :rolleyes:

The dogs dont like having it done very much, but when I think of all that hair in my ear, I would rather put them through a few seconds of pain than having festy ears.

thanks BC. I was just wondering my paps ears are pretty good. Just wondering if I ever need to pluck them what hairs I should actually take out?

You should not need to do paps ears. Just clean them once in a while.

The ones that really need doing are the Malts, Shih Tzu's, Poodles, Bichons etc. The ones that actually grow down the canal.

Paps will look long, but will stick out, not grow into the ear so you can just leave them, or trim them with scissors if you like, but I tend to leave them so not to change the ears appearance.

I clean the poodle's ears, though the standard's less often (don't need it). I just use a pet shop ear cleaner, about 4 drops, slosh around and massage under ear, let dog shake, then clean excess off with cotton ball. I use powder to pull out any excess hair with my fingers- makes it easier to grip.

The ones that actually grow down the canal.

so the hair can actually grow the wrong way and get into the canal? what happens when it gets into the canal? Can it be attached at both ends?

If a dog gets water in its ear is shaking usually enough to get most of it out?

The ones that actually grow down the canal.

so the hair can actually grow the wrong way and get into the canal? what happens when it gets into the canal? Can it be attached at both ends?

If a dog gets water in its ear is shaking usually enough to get most of it out?

The hair just keeps growing down the canal of the long haired breeds and if it is not plucked is what leads to matting, and infections etc as it continuously grows.

If its done on a regular basis, as PW said, with powder and using your fingers, it will never get to that stage.

It will not attach at both ends, just keep growing into a ball of hair inside the ear as it has no where else to go.

Fine hair on the inside of the ear, such as your pap, and even my border collie, is quite normal and I just leave it as it does not grow continuously.

Try and avoid getting water in ears. This can lead to ear infections. I guess shaking will get some of the water off, but best to avoid it.