Give A Dog A Bone?

What about brisket bones? I've tried some for my little one, but find they are quite fatty without a lot of meat?!?

Still trying to find a smallish bone for my little girl (mini-foxie). All she gets at the moment are chicken wings. Haven't tried necks yet.

What part of the lamb are lamb flaps?

I know the BARF diet is very popular,but ive had issues with all types of bones! smaller bones gettin caught in the roof of dogs mouth,one was caught in the inside of my dogs gum,and required vet treatment after it caused an absess. After a few incidents like that i gave up on bones!! Maybe ive been unlucky??

I have been feeding a BARF diet to my dogs for over 10 + years. I do not believe in commercial dry or wet foods, and will not use them.

I would suggest that the previous poster has had bad luck with the bones. Without knowing what type of bone has caused the problem to your dogs, I would suggest that a larger bone (one that is as big as the dogs mouth) be used. Some dogs are pigs and just swallow things whole, eg chicken wings.

Bones that I use are Chicken frames, wings and necks, lamb flaps and necks, venison necks, brisket bones are a great bone, get the butcher to cut them up into smaller pieces for you, they are 100% digestable and I use these bones as the base of RMB's. My guys get a large marrow bone that has been cut in half long ways, that way they can get to the marrow and less risk of teeth problems. Mind you I have big dogs so I am cautious of bones that are to small for them. Note brisket bones are very fatty (which a dog needs animal fat in his diet) and can make your dog fat should they be over used.

Bones are a natural teeth cleaner, dogs need bones in their diet IMO.

One only has to look at the rise of dental problems in canines and what the "experts" say to feed your dog. Soft foods etc. Why should I buy the "teeth cleaning designed treats" when I can feed bones that are nutrionally excellent for your dogs and a more natural food for the dog than those made up things that I see advertised / available for dogs.......to me it just doesn't make sense?????

As always JMHO.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I just find that if I feed lamb bones everyday to Chelsea, after 2 days or so, she will have powdery poo poo, the poo is hard and try and some parts will be just powder.

What is lamb Flap? I just use the lamb bones when I bought a piece of lamb forequarter from supermarket. Is lamb flap the white bones?

I have been feeding a BARF diet to my dogs for over 10 + years. I do not believe in commercial dry or wet foods, and will not use them.

I would suggest that the previous poster has had bad luck with the bones. Without knowing what type of bone has caused the problem to your dogs, I would suggest that a larger bone (one that is as big as the dogs mouth) be used. Some dogs are pigs and just swallow things whole, eg chicken wings.

Bones that I use are Chicken frames, wings and necks, lamb flaps and necks, venison necks, brisket bones are a great bone, get the butcher to cut them up into smaller pieces for you, they are 100% digestable and I use these bones as the base of RMB's. My guys get a large marrow bone that has been cut in half long ways, that way they can get to the marrow and less risk of teeth problems. Mind you I have big dogs so I am cautious of bones that are to small for them. Note brisket bones are very fatty (which a dog needs animal fat in his diet) and can make your dog fat should they be over used.

Bones are a natural teeth cleaner, dogs need bones in their diet IMO.

One only has to look at the rise of dental problems in canines and what the "experts" say to feed your dog. Soft foods etc. Why should I buy the "teeth cleaning designed treats" when I can feed bones that are nutrionally excellent for your dogs and a more natural food for the dog than those made up things that I see advertised / available for dogs.......to me it just doesn't make sense?????

As always JMHO.

Hi,

I just want to say thanx for the advice and do you feed minerals?