My Poor Scabby Dog

BlitznBear

My dog Bear has been constantly harrassed by our new puppy Blitz who if it wasnt for us giving them time out, could play all day 24/7, Bear has really short hair and he now looks like he has been put in a fighting ring.

He has scratches and scar like scabs all around his neck and inside his legs, Bear is ever so gentle with Blitz and will withstand anything the pup throws at him, Ive caught Blitz dragging Bear around the back yard by his lips.

We seperate them often with Blitz going into his crate for time out and Bear in our room on his bed, but as soon as they are taken out for toilet, or just fresh air laxing in the sun, they are at it again.

Bear is 35kg and Blitz roughly 10kg, Blitz doesnt have a mark on him, but our poor boy Bear looks like we have been beating him, we have obedience classes on Sunday and am not looking forward to taking him looking the way he is.

Blitz'z teeth are razor sharp at the moment but is gentle with us and the kids when putting our hands in his mouth, Blitz has plenty of chewy toys, ropes and bones.

Any suggestions, will this go on forever, or is it just a stage whilst Blitz is teething?

It is a stage, they do grow out of it.. but watch it and make sure you have an established pack order ie: you then the dogs so you can step in..

My older girl just caused massive damage to my 10 month old in a bitch fight.. and adult teeth do far more damage than baby teeth..

Just watch it..

It is a stage, they do grow out of it.. but watch it and make sure you have an established pack order ie: you then the dogs so you can step in..

My older girl just caused massive damage to my 10 month old in a bitch fight.. and adult teeth do far more damage than baby teeth..

Just watch it..

Thanks for that Doghouse, we do watch them when they are playing, and quite often I will grab Blitz and put my hands in his mouth, and pull him off Bear, he wont bite me or the kids, though he has only ever tried once with my daughters hair causing her to cry, which resulted in him getting a firm smack on the nose for it.

He hasnt attempted to nip or bite since, and is quite gentle with our hands.

At times when Bear has had enough he'll let Blitz know buy giving him a sharp nip causing him to yelp, but we just wish it was more often.

They are both desexed and Bear is the alfa out of the 2 but when mum or dad step in, they both loose rank and we are boss, always..

Thanks again Doghouse.

Sorry but it sounds to me like you have a very dominant young male on your hands

I would be getting him some training now and an introduction to other dogs so he can learn some doggy manners as Bear sounds far too soft to teach him properly

Smacking a dog on the nose is dangerous and can cause nasal passage damage

Sorry but it sounds to me like you have a very dominant young male on your hands

I would be getting him some training now and an introduction to other dogs so he can learn some doggy manners as Bear sounds far too soft to teach him properly

Smacking a dog on the nose is dangerous and can cause nasal passage damage

You dont need to say sorry, we already know he's going to be a handful, he has just had his last shots last Monday so it will be his first time at Obedience class on Sunday, and interaction with other dogs will be no dramas as he goes to daycare.

As for the smacking on the nose, I believe each to their own, whether that be smacking children or animals.

My son smacked him once on the nose and Blitz has not attempted to bite again, obviously lesson learnt, and as for what you were saying about nasal damage, I would think that that would be due to regular smacking on the nose with substantial force?

Edited by BlitznBear