Grooming Battles...

purplepup

If the dog is held correctly, that puts an end to all battles and allows the owner to get on with the job of grooming.

You could simply muzzle the dog, but dogs will still attempt to lash out with a muzzle on and the behaviour just continues once the muzzle is removed. Given that you will eventually have to take the muzzle off the groom the face, getting the dog used to be held in various positions is the best way to approach this dog in my opinion. This is not to say that muzzles don;t have their place.

Many of the issues that occur when grooming a dog, stem from holding the dog incorrectly, allowing the dog to lash out and get a reaction from the person grooming or worse still the dog bites or attempts to bite the owner/groomer and the grooming ceases as it becomes too hard.

Hold the dog correctly, get the job done and there are no more battles.

SAS are you a groomer or a you just going off what you have been told at puppy preschool ?

Sorry I don't agree with putting a muzzle on a dog (especially not a young puppy) unless it's 100% necessary, often that makes them feel more intimidated and makes the behaviour worse.

Holding a dog around the snout is a calming behaviour it's the same thing a mother dog does to her pups to tell them off and settle them down, it is definately not being heavy handed.

A nervous dog needs someone who shows strength and confidence to stop them being so frightened not someone thats going to bribe them and talk delicately, all that will do is reinforce the behaviour IMO.

I have a 1 year old Australian Silky terrier. From the time she was a pup, she has HATED being brushed. I have tried to make it fun, give treats etc and be gentle with her but as soon as she sees the brush coming she automatically gets into a wicked mood and will snap and bite.

Sounds like you are letting your pup take charge :laugh:

I groom three cockers nearly every day. I found the only way to teach them to tolerate it, was to be FIRM. I agree with those who say it boils down to a basic obedience issue.

The pup used to wriggle and try to escape but I found if I just gave her a firm loud NO, and laid her down again, she gave up trying to fight and soon succumbed to it. Yes, I do lie them down as I find that is the best way to brush tummies and armpits and hidden bits, but they will also stand up and stay still if I want them to.

I have dogs now that try and jump up on the table at grooming time, they quite enjoy it, as I mix in lots of cuddles and tummy scratches and make it a real one on one attention session.

Stinky as well. This summer I was shampooing him a lot and using a detangling product that I used on horses but I suspect my teen bitch hated the smell as she started beating him up about 6 times a day. Maybe she prefers 'eau de rotten egg'.

There was no blood drawn but it sounded like it was only a matter of time, so I separated them for a couple of weeks and stuck with the scissoring and haven't had a squabble since. :)

Maybe the OP's pup doesn't like the smell of the products being used?

ETA I'm pretty convinced that it's the detangler she hates because she didn't beat him up before I started using it and I previously shampooed him regularly. Hope this helps, and today's a beautiful warm day so I'm off to give Benji a Spring Shampoo (without the detangler) and Bell (who has a short coat and needs little grooming) better not beat him up for smelling nice. :D

Edited by Benji's Mum