Halti

A dog at training has both a Lupi and flat collar. Guess what? He pulls on both! I think his main problem is lack of exercise, however, as he's an energetic boxer but owner doesn't walk him every day.

As a side note:

When we first started training our poodle cross the instructor told us all to go out and buy chocker (check) chains. That was only 7 yrs ago

I was told to use one at puppy school 6 years ago with a mini poodle. It was suggested for all dogs and they sold them, too.

by the way my instructer told the class to ditch thier regular collars and buy hatlers!!!

Did they say why? Friends in Sydney were told the same thing at puppy school :rofl:. Their dog stayed with me for 6 weeks and I never used it, that's how "necessary" it was.

Well she didnt say it to ME cause MY dogs is wonderful!!

She told the rest of the class to get one as thier dogs were all pulling. She said the regular colars they were using were choking the dogs and thats why they were resisting.

I got my Lupi for my older rescue dog,who is generally ok on lead,but i need to get him to understand that i want him BESIDE me not in front. He doesnt pull,but i want more obedience!

OK it might be cheating,but I'll try anything!

His behaviourist comes today,she might help me get a better understanding of him. He has a few issues!! Staffie!! :hitself:

This thread is interesting as I'd also like a magic device to stop my dog pulling on leash- but it's all about training, isn't it? You have to teach your dog that loose leash= good, and be consistent.

Lunging large breeds is another story e.g. lunging after a bike etc.? Can't you use a "sit", "stay"? Or "watch" (as in watch me)? My training with the larger dog is a loooong way from advanced level, but he will "sit" instead of going bonkers trying to play with another dog etc. I tell him to "sit" as soon as he starts carrying on and praise for when he's quiet.

Did you see the Danes on "It's me or the dog"? One that pulled over and dragged the owner across concrete. Was all about training, leadership and getting the dog used to behaving more normally in these situations by desensitising him. They introduced him to other dogs gradually and turned him around as soon as braying, lunging or carry-on started. He only got to approach when not crazy.

I think haltis are a great way to get your dog started with proper heeling! Unfortunately you can't use them in obedience trials I think.. but if you're not going to trial who cares?

If you are I think it'd be fine to start off with a halti to stop a dog pulling.. Once you have the correct behaviour gradually try to work without the halti and with a normal collar.. It takes some dogs ages to figure out how to heel properly.

I'm not one really to talk though :hitself: My dog heels pretty well while training but when we're walking.. Well he likes to be right at the end of his leash! He doesn't pull that bad though, unless he sees something exciting - like the river! (Bloody swimming dog.. :shrug: )

This thread is interesting as I'd also like a magic device to stop my dog pulling on leash- but it's all about training, isn't it? You have to teach your dog that loose leash= good, and be consistent.

Lunging large breeds is another story e.g. lunging after a bike etc.? Can't you use a "sit", "stay"? Or "watch" (as in watch me)? My training with the larger dog is a loooong way from advanced level, but he will "sit" instead of going bonkers trying to play with another dog etc. I tell him to "sit" as soon as he starts carrying on and praise for when he's quiet.

Did you see the Danes on "It's me or the dog"? One that pulled over and dragged the owner across concrete. Was all about training, leadership and getting the dog used to behaving more normally in these situations by desensitising him. They introduced him to other dogs gradually and turned him around as soon as braying, lunging or carry-on started. He only got to approach when not crazy.

I totally agree, training and lots of it is the key.

With the lunging, my trainer told me to get him to "sit" as the bikes go past and praise him when he doesn't lunge, it has helped abit already :wave: There seems to be bike riders EVERYWHERE at the moment, which is a help :hitself: I am finding that he is a little bit more responsive when on the head halter so it is making my job a bit easier :shrug:

Edited by Weimlover

K9: Behavioural problems aside, I guarantee to have any dog walking on a loose leash in under 15 minutes... Its on my site..

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=obed.html

Then I will hand back the leash to the owner & have them do it.

The the owner will go home & arrive at the same results, fast.

When something as simple as loose leash walking takes a lot of time, something is wrong with either:

1. The method (crucial)

2. The tools used

3. The pack structure

4. The dog has a severe behavioural problem