Training Books Or Videos For Independent Breeds?

There's a new book out that I'm now recommending to my saluki and afghan friends. It's Jane Killion's When Pigs Fly. She breeds and trains bull terriers for conformation, agility and obedience.

I think it's an excellent book, and it provides good explanations about why different breeds react the way they do, and gives examples of useful motivators to try with those breeds (instead of the usual general advice to "find something your dog likes" which while true, is not always useful when they're spitting out cabanossi at your feet)

My favourite bit of the book reveals more about me than the book I think. She doesn't recommend leaping about like an idiot to motivate your independent breed dog and when I read that I almost pumped the air with my fist and yelled "Yes!!". I can't count the number of times instructors have told me to act silly and talk in a high voice and my Saluki has just eyeballed me as if to say "you're an idiot".

I would also recommend it to trainers who own the more biddable breeds for insights into what to suggest to class members with independent breed dogs.

Before I read it, I often used to point people to So Your Dog's Not Lassie by Betty Fisher, which I still think is a good book. Pigs Fly is a tighter summary of what to do to get high quality compliance tho' I think.

Any other recommends or reviews from those of us who have independent breeds who regularly extend the middle claw with much to teach us? :thumbsup:

There's a new book out that I'm now recommending to my saluki and afghan friends. It's Jane Killion's When Pigs Fly. She breeds and trains bull terriers for conformation, agility and obedience.

I think it's an excellent book, and it provides good explanations about why different breeds react the way they do, and gives examples of useful motivators to try with those breeds (instead of the usual general advice to "find something your dog likes" which while true, is not always useful when they're spitting out cabanossi at your feet)

My favourite bit of the book reveals more about me than the book I think. She doesn't recommend leaping about like an idiot to motivate your independent breed dog and when I read that I almost pumped the air with my fist and yelled "Yes!!". I can't count the number of times instructors have told me to act silly and talk in a high voice and my Saluki has just eyeballed me as if to say "you're an idiot".

I would also recommend it to trainers who own the more biddable breeds for insights into what to suggest to class members with independent breed dogs.

Before I read it, I often used to point people to So Your Dog's Not Lassie by Betty Fisher, which I still think is a good book. Pigs Fly is a tighter summary of what to do to get high quality compliance tho' I think.

Any other recommends or reviews from those of us who have independent breeds who regularly extend the middle claw with much to teach us? :laugh:

As no one has answered, I thought I should plug the Bob Bailey DVD. Anyone who can get a chicken to do an agility course is OK by me!!!!!

Excellent book ;) I know Jane thru the various Bull Terrier Lists I'm on, and met her in person a few years ago. Her dogs are amazing and just adore training. The book is very easy to read and is a totally different approach to training Independent Breeds.

As no one has answered, I thought I should plug the Bob Bailey DVD. Anyone who can get a chicken to do an agility course is OK by me!!!!!

Thanks! I think I've heard Susan Garrett and other trainers talk about him? Sounds like he's a trainers' trainer.

Personally I love the DVDs so much, I nearly sleep with the discs. I own endless DVDs and video regarding dog training (mostly based on retriever field training, handling etc). Bob Bailey is by far my favourite theory based series. Its application is awesome!!!!!!!

I would give my right arm to train with him.......nearly!!!!!!!!!