Boisterous Jack Russell Puppy.....just Untrained?

werdxela

Hi Hope this is the right place to ask.

I am looking to purchase a 7mth old Jack Russell Puppy. The current owners are selling the puppy as they believe it to be out of control. She becomes becomes over enthusiastic with younger children, Jumping and licking.

Do you think it may be a problem she would overcome with professional training?

I am prepared to put in the time, effort and money into training her properly to become a happy memebr of our family.

Edited by werdxela

Yes it probably would be overcome with training. It also it fairly normal behaviour for a pup, it's really up to the owner as to whether or not it is an accepted behaviour or not.

My Iggy is like that, he gets very enthusiastic and jumps and licks, its just him. It's his way of showing that he is happy. It also saves my back bending over to pick him up LOL. He always jumps into my arms.

Jack Russells are great dogs, they have a lot of evergy and they can be very head strong, however having said that with enough time you will have a great dog. Jack russells can be trained, it is not that easy but if you have the time it is well worth it. i have 2 jack russells and i wouldn't trade either of them for anything. They are loyal, friendly and fabulous fun.

Jacks need stimulation.

Mental and physical.

Training would mroe than liekly overcome these issues.

Be firm and fair and consistant.

Good luck, we will need pictures

Make her sit if she wants a pat, no sit no pat.

And make it constant.

My jack sits befor eshe comes inside or i walk in, she waits. It is learned behaviour.

JRT's are a fantastic breed.

Full of energy, exitement and personality.

I have 3 of them and would never dream of giving them up for any reason.

If your prepared to give them the physical exercise and mental stimultaion that these dogs require, then you'll have a wonderful time with your new Jack Russel.

Training them isn't all that hard, but as others on DOL have suggested positive methods work better than non positive.

JRT's really enjoy agility training as well.

They're fast and agile and love running and jumping.

My girl just cant wait to start the course.

Also were looking into lure racing too.

We do all this just because not only is it fun for both me and the dogs, but it's a great way to get out and meet other people who enjoy their dogs just as much as i do.

Wow - good on you firstly for considering a 7 month old pup and secondly for considering a 7 month old JRT lol :-)

I've had two jack russell's before my current one now, but I don't think either of them prepared me for my little girl Jak. Jak has sooooooooooooo much energy, whereas I think my other two, Penny and Belle respectively, wouldn't have had Jak's energy combined! lol. Shock to the system.

I used to tear my hair out, cry, ask the ceiling WHY??. The answer was me... I wasn't doing the right thing by Jak and her training suffered as a result (or I should say lack thereof). I did so much research and that's when I discovered DOL and it's been a wonderful find. Since I stumbled across this site, Jak now recognises me as leader of our pack (which used to be a constant battle), she sits, drops, rolls over etc, and always always always sits before she gets attention of any kind :-)

She's now happy to go and play outside and run around doing figure 8's in the yard and creating her own makeshift obstacle courses. After she does that, she's happy to come in and snuggle up on my lap for some cuddle time. Our night time routine is now down pat - 8.30 I open the door to her crate and in she goes, not a peep until morning, and even then only when I acknowledge her - she doesn't whine to be let out, she waits until I'm ready to let her know I'm up and about.

I guess what I'm saying is that yes, times were hard and often incredibly challenging, but I now get rewarded for that every day. She makes me laugh my head off now :-) Even through the hard times there's no way I could have ever given her up.

All the best with it, and if you find that you're being challenged, PM me because at least I can sympathise :-)

Rhi & Jak

Sounds like normal, untrained puppy behaviour to me. They don't know how to behave unless they're taught. Some people just don't put the time in to their dogs then blame the dog for behaving accordingly. Best to meet the dog.

More JRT info. here...http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/information/jack-russell-terrier.asp