Lump On My Pooch, What To Do?

Sally

Hi,

My Maltese has a lump at the top of her tail. It's hard, round about 1.5cm wide, and maybe 1cm high. It doesn't seem to be sore when I touch it. I've never had a dog with a lump before. Should I wait and see what happens, or should I get her to the vet?

Thanks!

vet, sophie is our big white girl, she has lumps and bumps popping up all over her. We had one we were really worried about, the day before we took her to the vet ot mysteriously fell off. I have no idea, dog lumps are weird.

Ew that's weird about that one falling off. I can't see that happening with this one.

I guess I'll have to see what the vet says. I have a feeling it's not really serious, and I'm just going to be paying money for nothing, but I guess I've got to do it.

Thanks for your replies.

It is impossible to tell what a lump is by looking at it - it needs to be seen and tested by a vet.. Testing is most important, don't let the vet tell you it looks like this or that without having it tested...

The most innocent of lumps can turn out to be the worst kinds of lumps...

I know - Ollie dog is now two years post diagnosis from Mast cell cancer grade 2... He cannot be cured - if only I had the lump checked a few months earlier...

I personally will never leave a lump unchecked on a pooch again...

Hoping and praying your lump is nothing more than a fatty lipoma...

Good luck

Jodie

We've just been through a lump mystery with Stevie.

First vet looked, showed it to the more senior vet, tried to get fluid out of it with a needle because it looked like a big blister, then said they'd never seen anything quite like it before, take her home and keep an eye on it. We looked at it every day and worried about it.

Couple of months later, another vet took several samples with a needle (wasn't fussed if fluid or not) and set them up on slides, had a quick look herself under microscope and sent off for proper pathology. Samples taken late Friday evening, results in by the Tuesday evening. Definitive answer and can be reassured now - she's ok.

We won't wait next time, we'll insist on pathology straight away (or at least check that this particular vet is on roster). We've discussed and planned that we won't be doing chemo or other massive (and massively expensive) interventions and treatments with our dogs, for their comfort as well as ours, but the peace of mind of knowing what we're dealing with is worth the pathology tests.

I guess I'll have to see what the vet says. I have a feeling it's not really serious, and I'm just going to be paying money for nothing, but I guess I've got to do it.

I can't agree with the statement that you will be paying money for nothing. If there is a problem you can deal with it in the early stages. If there is no problem then the diagnosis is priceless :p Can't put a value on peace of mind :laugh:

Thanks for your replies. We've got an appointment for this afternoon. I'm dragging along my 4 year old who has a temperature, and my 2 year old, so it's not going to be a fun trip, but hopefully we'll get some help. I'll let you know how we get on.

Edited by Sally

We're back from the vet. The vet said that it looks like an infected bite from an insect or spider. He gave her an anti inflammatory injection, and a course of antibiotics. If it doesn't clear in a week, he will do a biopsy in case it's something more to worry about. She's not licking or scratching, so at least it's not bothering her. Hopefully the antibiotics will work.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my dog. After a week, and a course of antibiotics, her lump looked a bit bigger if anything. The vet did a biopsy on Friday, he said it is a tumor, but we need to wait for the lab results to know which kind. The vet had initially thought she was too young to have a tumor, but I guess she's unlucky.

In the mean time, I've got a Buster collar on her, because she's constantly trying to get at her biopsy wound. She's so distressed with the collar on, that she's panting, but if I take it off, she's straight back at the wound. Does anyone know what I can do to help her distress?

Just an update on my dog. After a week, and a course of antibiotics, her lump looked a bit bigger if anything. The vet did a biopsy on Friday, he said it is a tumor, but we need to wait for the lab results to know which kind. The vet had initially thought she was too young to have a tumor, but I guess she's unlucky.

In the mean time, I've got a Buster collar on her, because she's constantly trying to get at her biopsy wound. She's so distressed with the collar on, that she's panting, but if I take it off, she's straight back at the wound. Does anyone know what I can do to help her distress?

Do you have any rescue remedy? It often works to help calm a dog...

Maybe give her a bone to chew - anything to take her mind off it...

I am sorry to hear that it is a tumour but with hopefully it will be a benign tumour that does not even need removal...

I don't believe that age has anything to do with tumours... Actually I find the statement that she is too young to have a tumour, quite absurd...

Best of luck and let us know how you get on - lots of prayers that it is just a bump.

Jodie

Thanks Jodie. We're worried about her, and that fact that she's so distressed at the moment is stressing out the whole family. Are you talking about rescue remedy from the chemist? My Nan has some. Do you squirt it in their mouth? I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning and see if I can get some pain killers or sedation for her. The lump is red raw. The vet scraped the top layer off the whole lump for some reason, and I think it gets rubbed every time she sits down. The poor thing is a wreck. I'm wondering if the fact that she's been in the pound before whe had her, and she's had a stressful life could have caused this tumor. I'll let you know how she gets on.

Sally, yes it is the rescue remedy that you get from the chemist - yes you just put some in her mouth or into her water bowl...

Our boy has had the best life - he has been a pampered stafford from day one, so I don't think that your girl being in the pound would have anything to do with the tumour...

Unfortunately these things happen without prejudice - tumours can occur in the healthiest of animals, just like in people...

All the best

Jodie

The vet just called, he said the tumor is benign, and will go away on it's own. Yay! What a relief. He said that test showed it was partly necrotic, which means the tissue is dying as it regresses, and that's why she's been in so much pain. Poor thing. I'll keep up the pain killers, as it's still bothering her. Thanks for your support everyone.

Good news for your little one.

I had an awful week last week after my vet found a pea sized lump on my young dog's spine. Had to wait a week for surgery and it was very distressing.

Quite unexpectedly due to other symptoms involved, it turned out to be a sebaceous cyst!! A huge relief.

Edited by dogmad