Canine Disc

Aw fanx molasseslass!!

Bella is a 3 year old BC X Kelpie:

475864_1171004179.jpg

Aww she so pretty!

She's a mad keen ball retriever, you could spend hours tossing a tennis ball for her & she doesn't tire out. I've never seen her catch the ball on the full, though, she seems to prefer waiting for it to bounce, catch it, & then bring it back for more throwy fun.

Is there any hope for my girl?

ETA: oops! Forgot to mention that she'll get her squeaky toy from wherever she's hidden it if I ask her "Bella, where's your squeaky?"

Edited by MsJames

Bella may be a little slower to grasp the concepts at 3, but it should still be fairly easy.

Firstly, I will reprint a few Tips from our DISCussiono ezine that I think apply:

Sparking the Interest (Issue 11)

What gets a Disc Dog excited? Answer: The disc! Enthusiasm for plastic is a critical element in producing a new disc-catching quadruped. The key question for any new team then is "How do we get our dog interested in the disc?" Put at its simplest, positive praise is the answer. There is no way to teach a dog to catch a disc through negative reinforcement techniques. The trick is to be enthusiastic every time your dog shows just a little bit of interest in the disc. It doesn't matter if your dog doesn't yet look at the disc, chase the disc, try to catch it, or make a successful catch. Just remain positive about your dog's efforts at each step of the way and reward your dog with an abundance of praise every single time they make any progress. If you don't get discouraged neither will your dog.

Dishing Up the Fun (Issue 12)

If you are having difficulty getting your dog interested in playing Canine Disc one idea is to try feeding them out of a disc instead of a traditional dog bowl. This can help the dog get a feel good feeling about the disc. If you are lucky your dog may even bite the disc after they have finished eating, a behaviour that you would want to enthusiastically praise. For many dogs using the disc as a feeding bowl is not a productive exercise, but for some dogs this has been a helpful training technique for helping stimulate initial interest in the disc. For safety reasons, the disc should not be left with the dog unattended. As soon as the dog starts showing interest in tracking moving discs it is recommended that you stop feeding the dog from the disc. Bon appetit!

And secondly, the second page of this (PDF) document continues and expands on the above process.

The fact that she does retrieve and shows interest in toys means she most definitely has hope! :cry: Does the above outline for you a clear approach to creating interest in the disc, if not, just ask. I'd also suggest that you reduce or even remove play with other toys to really heighten the value of the disc.

Oh, what type of disc are you using?

Hopefully Carrathool can use the above for tennis balls too? :(

Oh, what type of disc are you using?

I'm not too sure of the brand (it's outside somewhere & too cold for my tootsies to go looking for it! :( ), but I got it from as a cheapie from a petshop. Does this make a difference? Should I get something better quality?

I've printed up that info & shall get started with the fun tomorrow :cry: I'll keep you updated as to our progress!

Ok, first thing is you'll need to stop leaving the disc with the dog. The disc needs to be of value and it's needs to be YOUR toy. If the disc comes out only while playing with you then Bella should place far more value on it (they all want what someone else has). Also many discs can be chewed and little swalloed pieces aren't good.

There are special canine discs that we use and they have a few important safety features that a lot of ones (even those sold for pets) don't. The weight of the disc you use is important; too heavy and you can injure your dog and too light and it just won't fly properly. Next the disc should be flexible (not floppy); any disc where you can't flex it is likely to shatter at some stage (due to the point pressure from a tooth) and can badly cut the dogs mouth. The edges of the disc should be rounded rather than sharp, this stop lips and gums being cut when catching. Lastly, "grippy strips"! These are ridges that run along the top edge of the disc so that even once slobbered on, you can still get adequate grip to throw well. :(

Our club only sells Wham-O Fastbacks (Wham-O actually owns the trademark "frisbee") and Hyperflite Jawz discs (for the hard mouthed dogs) which you can PM me to buy. In Australia the sport allows for the use of:

Wham-O premium weight standard Fastback and Flex Fastback models

Hyperflite K10 Competition Standard, Jawz, Jawz Pup, Soflite and Soflite Pup

Hero 120, 160 and 235 disc models

AFAIK there is only us that sell canine discs in Australia but most of the overseas sites (American and Japanese) will ship to Oz.

Even if you don't get one of the competition approved discs, make sure you check whatever disc you are using against the above.

thanks will try or maybe just get into discdogs or something!

I was thinking that but was trying not to be too pushy! :laugh:

Edited by molasseslass

Some quick safety tips:

Watch the Heat! (Issue 5)

Never let your dog overheat. Always have plenty of water available for your dog and exercise discretion about when to play. Some days it will be too hot to play. If your dog becomes hot or tired it is time to stop the game, even if your dog wants to continue. Some dogs will not know when to stop playing, so it is your responsibility to take control in ensuring that they stop before becoming overheated or exhausted. And by the way, never leave your dog alone in a car on a warm day even for a few minutes because heat kills dogs. Be careful and avoid the heat to keep your dog safe.

Keep it Low and Go, Go, Go! (Issue 6)

Safety has to always be your number one priority in any activity with your dog. Puppies should not be encouraged to jump until after their growth plates have fully sealed, something that normally happens by the time they are 12-18 months old. Until that stage it is a good idea to always keep throws low so your puppy does not risk landing awkwardly. Even after that age however, throws should intentionally be kept low until after your dog has demonstrated an ability to land consistently with all four feet landing on the ground at the same time, minimising any risk of wear and tear on your dog's legs. To accomplish this, don't hesitate to rely upon lots of rollers and practice your throws. Keep it low and go, go, go!

Training Tip: Over and Over and Over (Issue 14)

Canines, like humans, obtain enhanced learning through repetition. One of the most useful drills you can practice with your dog on a repetitive basis is "overs" practice. An over is when your dog jumps over any part of your body to take or catch the disc without making contact with you. The simplest over is to sit on the ground with your legs together stretched out in front of you. Position your dog on one side of you and then ask them to jump over your legs while taking the disc out of your hand. Be patient in setting your dog up in the right position and having them stay until you ask them to make the take. Only after your dog masters the take should you then experiment with hovering the disc out of your hand. Doing overs over and over and over teaches the dog to lift their backside (in order to clear your legs) and helps them practice landing on all four legs. It is a cool little trick, but the biggest benefit of this drill is that it will help your dog be more controlled when jumping (and landing), which will help ensure safe play.

They will chase it, but won't pick it up on the fool..... any ideas?

I dunno, stop putting it on yourself? :laugh:

You're saying the dogs don't catch the disc in the air, they wait for it to hit the ground and then retrieve it to you?

Ohh - so thats why they aren't cathing it - I need to stop wearing the disc as a hat!

They won't catch it in the air - it has to be dead first - or they will try a couple of very un co-ordinated jumps for it.

they have no probs catching the ball either, but that is usually on the ground too.

They loose interest with the disc easy - so am keeping sessions short, but will sometimes do what the OP said (run after it but not bring it back).

I have tried rolling it on the ground, but I can't roll it :(

I bought a frisbee from molasseslass's group when I was in Brisbane. Todd has always been a tennis ball nut (must be green) but with a bit of play (probably more teasing) he soon realised the frisbee was fun.

The one we bought is a nice flexible one and he loves it. I keep it away from my 2 and as soon as I pick it up he goes loopy, so does Lilly but she'll chase anything. I haven't done much with him but I noticed that his confidence is growing. At first he was unsure about jumping to catch it but now he's fine and is getting better at predicting when it's the best time to jump for the disc. My throwing skills really suck.

They won't catch it in the air - it has to be dead first - or they will try a couple of very un co-ordinated jumps for it.

They probably aren't jumping for it because they can feel how wrong they are jumping. Check out the overs exercise above to get the jumping a little more usable. Interest and then catching are more important first.

They loose interest with the disc easy - so am keeping sessions short, but will sometimes do what the OP said (run after it but not bring it back).

Don't stress about lack of interest for now, I'm sure you know what you're doing with getting their interest levels up. :)

DO

1. Throw the disc on the ground, rolling it like a wheel. This will allow the dog to get used to chasing it without a bad experience of possibly getting hit by a flying disc.

2. Allow the dog to have fun, and don't worry too much if they lose interest and/or don't bring the disc back.

3. Use a happy voice and try to convince your dog this is the best thing since Doggy Biscuits. Always make training an extra special time.

4. Dogs who are not interested in the disc may be enticed to play with it by sliding the disc on the ground in circles in front of the dog. They will pounce on the disc, and when they do, throw a roller and the dog should follow it. Some trainers will actually rub the disc lightly along the dogs torso to entice them to bite at it, but care should be taken not to cause the dog to associate fear with the disc, so make sure you talk to your dog with a happy, reassuring voice while doing this step.

5. Put the discs away when you are not there. You dog should realize the disc is a special toy that is only available when you are there.

DO NOT

1. DO NOT throw the disc directly at the dog. You want to avoid hitting the dog with the disc, especially in the face. Doing so could result in the dog developing a fear of the disc.

2. DO NOT push the dog to hard, to the point it is no longer having fun. If your pooch loses interest, then quit for now and start when you are both fresh.

3. DO NOT encourage a dog under 14 months to leap. The stress of landing can damage a dog that is not fully developed. If a young dog is a reckless leaper, then keep your throws low. Concerned owners can request that their veterinarian take x-rays to determine if their dog's growth plates have closed and they can begin jumping.

they have no probs catching the ball either, but that is usually on the ground too.

Sounds like the dogs need to learn that the game isn't retrieve but catch. Once you have the dog reliably returning rollers you can try to throw the disc and see if the dog's keeness to get the disc means they catch it. If not, then you can work on the command "take" or similar. Can do this one in front of the TV! :( With the dog in front of you, offer the dog the disc and teach it to take the disc from your hand when given the command (and ONLY when the command is given ;) ).

Once you have a dog that takes on command, teach the overs drill. Once the dog understands the overs drill and is taking the disc from your hand you can begin to hover it to progress. A hover is basically spinning the disc on the spot. The idea being that you tell the dog "take" and before the dog gets to you, you hover it so the dog is catching it rather than taking it.

If you don't want to follow the overs route you can try (once the dog understands take) tossing little throws beside the dogs head while the dog is right in front of you. Go spastic at first even if the dog just turns their head to watch the disc land - that's still interest. Build it up so that the dog understands what you want is the catch.

Then you slowly build up throws - 1m, 3m, 5m......40m+.

Some people help their dogs remember catching is the focus by praising if the dog catches and again when the dog returns the disc so that they are able to mark not catching by not praising that part.

All that has lots of implicit "praise, praise, praise" requirements in it. ;)

Does any of that make sense?

I have tried rolling it on the ground, but I can't roll it

:laugh: How can you not?!

Take the disc as if you are going to throw it and then roll your wrist so that the disc is held in your hand at the bottom and the opposite edge is facing the sky. Then flick your wrist forward and the disc should roll on it's side (usually ends up going in a circle sooner or later). This helps the dog learn the skill of "tracking" the object (i.e. wacthing it) instead of just "run and assume".

I bought a frisbee from molasseslass's group when I was in Brisbane. Todd has always been a tennis ball nut (must be green) but with a bit of play (probably more teasing) he soon realised the frisbee was fun.

:(

My throwing skills really suck.

:laugh: The only thing I can say about throwing, is practice, practice, practice!

I have tried rolling it on the ground, but I can't roll it

:idea: How can you not?!

:rofl::wave: Coz i'm left handed!! LOL - I watched the video and got it right..... eventually.... maybe I'm just Frisbee challenged :wave:

Dogs did really well actually - Kinta caught it a couple of times while it was rolling. Leo loved it too :hitself:

I'm left-handed, too, leopuppy and I play Ultimate Frisbee for humans, and bought a couple of ML's club discs for Jack :D

He's not a great retriever, but over the years I've kept it exciting by keeping sessions with his Orbee ball short, and only bringing the Orbee out for these occasions.

This seemed to help with the frisbee -- we're gradually building up to having Jack bring the Wham-O disc back half a dozen times. He's nearly 8yo so he's a bit slow on the uptake ;) but he's doing well. And, really, it's just a bit of fun and fresh air at the local park. We don't have any clubs down here.

I'll have to try and get out with Jack this weekend. It's been a while, with the winter frosts and cold. But the weather is beautiful at the moment, and just windy enough for me to blame the wind on my bad throws ;)