Crates

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Hi there everyone,

I've been tossing up whether to get a crate for my 13 week old Newfoundland even before I got him. I've read a fair bit about them and some of it makes sense. I've had Turtle for 4 weeks now and am wondering if it is too late to get one for him. I want to be able to make him go to the toilet outside now (instead of on the newspaper in his room), and I read crates are good for this. However, he has had roam of the house (unless we're at work then he is in his room), and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to get him to use it.

My second query is regarding what sort to get him. My head is spinning a bit as I want the crate to fit in with airline regulations. I also know he is going to grow a lot bigger and I don't want to buy several crates as he grows. Are there any crates that you can section off until the pups grows to full size?

Any help on this one would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you.

9 weeks old - ah to be that size again!!

post-20601-1189652045_thumb.jpg

Basically it's easy to barricade off any size crate...just stick cardboard box in one end of it...lol. Tho i got the 48" crates for my GSD pups and they never needed it smaller...they were very clean pups and wouldn't toilet in the crates at all.

Basically for hte airline crates it's best to check the airline websites and see what their current requirements are and buy to those specifications. However the requirements can change over time - but you can rent crates from their airlines/transport companies if required.

ETA - an no...it's never too late to crate train a pooch :laugh: And if it has their bedding in it the dog will generally use it to sleep in of it's own accord (think it's their den) depending on the crates location.

Edited by KitKat

I had a crate for my standard poodle puppy, but found I didn't really need it. He was 9 weeks when we got him, quick to toilet train and was not a mad chewer. Also, we have mostly tile/laminate in living areas, so clean ups were not such a big deal. He also would whinge when crated at night, so it was easier to put him outside together with our other poodle overnight (he had plenty of coat to stay warm and pup in autumn).

Crate I had came with a partition that you could put wherever you like to make the crate smaller, as required.

You'd need XXL for a Newf.

I don't know about current airline crate requirements, but the old style were plastic with a gate. They don't allow as much airflow/ vision as the wire type, but are much lighter and I used an old smaller one for pup in the car- much easier to clean up!

Basically, it's up to you.

If I had lots of carpet, precious items around the house or younger children, I'd go for a crate.

Not too late to crate train at all.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I never crate trained my Newf, but all our other dogs are crate trained. We don't have enough space in our house for a Newf sized crate at the moment but if we did, I would have one for him.

It keeps the pup safe from chewing power cords, small items, keeps your things safe etc. And it can help with toilet training. Most dogs also appreciate a space to call their own. If you have children or will have children visiting, a crate can be invaluable in giving the dog a 'safe' spot.

Also if your ever needs to have a vet stay or stay at the groomers, etc, it is MUCH easier if the dog is already crate trained.

Plus if you plan to holiday with your dog, a crated dog is much more easily accepted than a non-crate trained dog (especially a dog that drools and sheds like the Newf does) So if you can- I would definately go for it.

I prefer wire crates personally, better airflow, cheaper to purchase and better shaped for big dogs (plastic ones tend to be narrow). Another alternative to a crate is to purchase a C-pen fro www.ccrates.com.au or other online store. These are great for the large to giant breeds. But if you plan to travel by air regularly with him, then get the largest airline approved crate you can find. Contacting the dog transport companies would be your best bet for this.

It's not too late to train Turtle at all, just leave the door open and throw some toys and maybe a few treats into the open crate. let him explore in his own time. Feed him his dinner in there with the door open etc.