Rip Aspen

Ker

I had a beautiful lilac point Birman named Aspen.

A few weeks ago, he was breathing funny, so I took him to the vet. Examination showed he had congestive heart failure and a heart murmur, which caused fluid on the lungs. I was given a diuretic to clear the lungs and heart tablets. At his check up a week later, he showed some improvement.

He wasn't well at all this morning. I tossed up the idea of not going to work, but I had to - we were snowed under. I had to visit my nana in hospital after this, so I got home about 4.30. As soon as I opened the front door, I could hear Aspen's breathing - it was really laboured. He started howling, an awful sound and I grabbed the phone to call the vet and tell them I was bringing him in. I got him in the carrier and into the car. He continued howling and I was talking to him on the short drive to the vet, until he went silent. I started to cry and told him not to die on me, to hold on until we got to the vet. I pulled up at the vets, grabbed the carrier and ran in. There was no one at the desk so I called for help, still talking to Aspen. When the receptionist came out I said "I think my cat just died". He had. He was only 6.

The vets were lovely. They got me a chair, water and tissues and let me spend as long as I needed with him. I hugged and kissed him and stroked his lovely fur. They organised cremation for me when I asked and a little later, I called to ask them to cut me off a piece of his hair. They told me it wasn't my fault and it wouldn't have mattered had I bought him in earlier. The vet said "he was very kind to you. He stopped you having to make a decision you wouldn't have been able to." She's right. I couldn't have put him down.

I truly believe he waited until I'd got home, and I am so thankful for that. If I had arrived home and found him already dead, I would have been hysterical. He was obviously in real strife and yet he hung on - we both needed that last goodbye. My brave, lilac boy.

I miss him already and I don't know what to tell my son. Aspen was his favourite cat and it's only a matter of time until he asks for him. I'm hoping to stall until then.

I love you and miss you, my big furball boy...the house will be quieter without you...Run free and healthy across the bridge and I'll see you again when my time is up.