Shared Experience On Fear Agression Please

Hi

I rescued a BC who is fear agressive and have since adopted him. I have had him for 8 mths. He began trusting me after the first couple of weeks and I have implemented several pack leader techniques which have worked well. However although he has made progress he is still vulnerable to change and when he becomes anxious over something he tends to revert to some of his old behaviours. I have a particular interest in anyone who has sought professional assistance and found that the reccomended strategies have worked well or any additional literature in the area of dog psychology which could be reccomend.

cheers

Sing Song

I cant think staright right now with the fumes from the paint thinner lol but I have a fear aggressive BC who has overcome a LOT. from not being able to get anywhere near a starnge building, attacking children and other dogs, to gaining her flyball master title running 3.8 seconds inside strange buildings, napping inside petstores, ignoring strange dogs, and being more tolerant of children then a lab. it involved clicker training and some sort of desensitization..and time(took her 3 years). I'll explain better once the fumes are gone they are making my head too wonky to think of all the details clearly lol

woo ok with Happy I started with systematic desensitization with clicker training. basicly I took her all over the place armed with treats and a clicker, and I start out far away from the object or area of fear, I would reward her to be calm, slowly I would shrink her comfort zone, if she started freaking out I would simply back away, eventually I was able to shrink her comfort zone down to pretty much touching her. IOW despite her being terrfied of strange dogs and while I try to avoid dog overrun situations, things happen, escaped dogs appear from put of nowhere, idiots let there dogs run off their property to greet mine etc.. and in these situations, she may not be comfortable, but she is easily kept under control without anyone ever knowing that she doesnt like strange dogs.

I have a fear aggressive rescue Koolie who is fine with people but not with dogs. I have had her just over 3 years. I have taken her up to Steve Courtney (K9 force) who is up in the Blue Mountains and he was really helpful - in retrospect I think the best thing he did was persuade me (an inexperienced owner) that she was not that bad and could get through it. the second thing I did was take her to sheepdog school - she loves it and because she feels confident working with the sheep and gets a lot of praise there she has really improved her behaviour out of sight. I notice you are in Canberra, so am I, PM me if you want to talk about it on the phone and I will give you my number.

Hi Sing Song

I also have a fear aggressive rescue JRT X. She is fine with humans and our other dogs but turns herself inside out over other dogs. We took her up to K9 Force and it was well worth the effort. I am putting Steve's strategies in place and with a lot of effort in just a few weeks I can see improvement in her. I now walk her without the other 2 dogs and while she is still nervous, she's responding to me as the leader.

I would definitely recommend giving K9 a call and get some training underway.