Sheltie Ears

Native_MetaL

Hello

Our little 11 week old sheltie puppies ears are showing signs of spiking up instead of flopping down.

I understand that it’s possible to glue a shelties ears into place while they are puppies to correct this problem

and i was hoping that someone may be able to explain how to do this correctly?

type of glue to use where to place the glue ext.

Native_MetaL

Hi there,

I don't know how to glue ears but I'll tell you something I heard the breeder of my pup recommend to an owner of a schnauzer mini with one ear up....

Apparently general consensus is, if you want your pups ears to stand up (if normal for the breed) it is recommended you dont play with them when they are puppies (the ears, not the puppy :)). So her logic when ears go up and you want them down is to massage them a few times a day using glycerin, and this should bring them back down again.

You could try this as a temporary solution until you work out how to glue...it can't hurt.

Good Luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

There was some discussion on Sheltie Ears in the Sheltie thread in General Discussion. The thread there discusses all things Sheltie related.

Many breeders use weights. Personally for pricked ears I use a mixture of sump oil and cement mixed to the consistency of peanut butter with a bit of powder ( chalk) to take the wetness away once placed on the ear. I have also used in the past antphlogestine (I got this from a produce store as it is used as a poultice on horses). I have however had someone glue the ears of 1 that had been pricked for more than a week and after a week or 2 of being glued the ears are fine. With gluing however you need to ensure that you are only gluing the hair not the skin.

I have found that at that age due to teething that the ears will change almost daily. In my 14 week old litter at the moment I have had one bitch going from heavy in the morning to pricked in the evening so sometimes it is better to leave them alone.

There is a book called Sheltie Talk ( American) that has a really good section on ears so if you can get your hands on a copy of that it may help.

Regards,

Tashbailey

There is also a discussion in the puppy thread started by myself which is in the photo section, with a link to some websites.

When you want to weight the ears you need to just do the top third of the ear.

If you are having a problem now once you weight the ear be very vigilant and keep them weighted until at least 9 months old.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the easiest and sure fire method for my Shelties' ears is chewing gum. Chew the gum first, then pull the fur back and put a wad in the centre of the tip of the ear (on the underside) and it will flop forward nicely. Less than one stick of gum (I use sugarfree extra) should do the trick for both ears. If you want to make it a little less noticeable you can flatten out the gum a bit by shaping it into a triangle inside the ear tip rather than leaving it as a blob shape.

It may drop off after a few days the first times but should stay on for a month at a time and when you want it to all come off just use warm water.

If you have other dogs who try to lick it off your pups ears you may need to dab on some tea tree oil occassionally (the water soluble kind) diluted in water to deter them.

Caro

I dont know WHY they want them "flopped" - but it is in the standard - and most people think they are cuter like this :hug:

The glue that I heard is used is eyelash glue - thus made to go on skin.

Lana's ears are pricked - she had gum on them and as soon as it came off they flew back up again - many ppl say gum is BAD and makes the ears worse! I dont know - accept to say that her ears certainly arent right!

The other thing some say is to just rub some baby oil under the ear, fold it and rub between your fingers to keep the leather soft and encourage the fold at that point?? dont know...

personally I would go with the sump oil or glueing idea if I need to play with ears on my next pup!

Bridget