Omg This Was A Shock

rusty_shadow_mummy

earlier when i took the puppies for a walk when a younger teenager came up to me and commented how cute etc and asked if he could pat them i said sure, well he pat shadow no problems :) but rusty was behind me and when the boy moved closer to be able to pat him Rusty went crazy growling and attempted to bite the boy :):mad:( as soon as the boy backed away from us rusty was fine. when he did i said in in a low growling voice no. Ive never seen him like this before. what should i do

Edited by rusty_shadow_mummy

I don't know if i can offer much advice but Jorja used to be very growly towards some strangers and strange dogs and then prefectly gentle and loving with others. I was quite concerned my cute little precious baby appeared to be a vicious monster!

Then we went to puppy school...

Day one proved to be eventful with her going crazy at these two little whimpering pups. To curb this our instructer helped me distract her. So I was taught to offer her a food reward but entice her to turn away from the source of aggrevation before giving it to her as well as praise. You can also do this with toys.. but just change the situation to something pleasant. Her behaviour continued for most of our first class.

The following week she didnt growl once and even did a few play bows and went up to the other pups and owners.

By the final week (week 4) she was dragging me into the class to play with everyone... even the animals going to see the vet :(

So maybe you should, if you havent already, invest in a good puppy school or dog training facility just to help start things off!

Good Luck

i made an inqury with a place called 4 paws does anyone know about this place its in keilor east i think or taylors lakes

There are two places over that way. One is "4 Paws" and they are in Melton. Can't say I know too much about them or what their instructors are like "behavioural knowledge" speaking.

The other is "Four Paws K9 Training" - they are in Keilor/Taylors Lakes and I highly recommend them. Speak to Trish. :thumbsup:

Four Paws K9 Training

ETA: Don't know how old your 'puppy' is but either way I'd seek some help on this asap as your pup's behaviour sounds like a serious behavioural issue in the making. The earlier you seek to sort it out and learn to counter it, the easier and better.

Edited by Erny

i made an inqury with a place called 4 paws does anyone know about this place its in keilor east i think or taylors lakes

There are two places over that way. One is "4 Paws" and they are in Melton. Can't say I know too much about them or what their instructors are like "behavioural knowledge" speaking.

The other is "Four Paws K9 Training" - they are in Keilor/Taylors Lakes and I highly recommend them. Speak to Trish. :rofl:

Four Paws K9 Training

ETA: Don't know how old your 'puppy' is but either way I'd seek some help on this asap as your pup's behaviour sounds like a serious behavioural issue in the making. The earlier you seek to sort it out and learn to counter it, the easier and better.

i rang the one in keilor east is that the same place?

Because they are both in similar area, and 4 Paws have named their school so similarly to Four Paws K9 Training, I'd suggest you check in on the link I gave you to Four Paws K9 Training in my previous post. Confirm the phone number as being the same.

If you're still unsure, ring Four Paws K9 Training and confirm you're booked in with them.

Because they are both in similar area, and 4 Paws have named their school so similarly to Four Paws K9 Training, I'd suggest you check in on the link I gave you to Four Paws K9 Training in my previous post. Confirm the phone number as being the same.

If you're still unsure, ring Four Paws K9 Training and confirm you're booked in with them.

:rofl: , but Im surprised they were allowed to call their business something so similar. i remember when I applied for my business name I got told I wouldn't get what I wanted if it sounded too similar to another, already registered name.

Id be spewing if someone went out and called their business something really similar to my business name, especially as they're in the same field and area!

;) , but Im surprised they were allowed to call their business something so similar. i remember when I applied for my business name I got told I wouldn't get what I wanted if it sounded too similar to another, already registered name.

Id be spewing if someone went out and called their business something really similar to my business name, especially as they're in the same field and area!

Yes Wagsalot - that's how it used to be. I had trouble registering a name for my 'other' business some many years ago because of phenatical little similarities. Only to find out, some 6 or 7 years on that ASIC had allowed another business to name EXACTLY the same name as mine, only with one additional word in it. Peeved me no end too, given that I ended up receiving a fair amount of their mail and clientele enquries. That wouldn't have been so bad, but I was concerned about how many of my clients and how much of my mail was re-directed to them. I complained, but ASIC's response went something along the lines of "we can" :D. I seem to recall that I could object further and take issue in the event that I proved loss or some such, but by that time I had already planted in my mind that I would be doing something else as my full time career ;) rather than the work I was in back then, so I didn't bother.

Sorry for the offtopic, RSM.

We have the same problem with Lola with men and boys. But she is is the guardian of the family and only bails and barks if there is something she does not like or if she is given the guard command.. with the ferals around here it is one command I am glad to have given her. She does not do it with children, the elderly, women or family members and she does have a drop command.

That said this behaviour did not start until she was desexed and the 5yo started school.

I would either encourage it as in under a command word or discourage it completely. A dog that does it is just doing what comes naturally but i believe you must be in a control position to either remove the dog from the situation or have a drop command..

With the feral component we have around here and the time that she spends with myself and the 5YO on walks or at the park.. we have had reason to use the command when we were threatened.. she dropped immediately once the threat passed.

We have the same problem with Lola with men and boys. But she is is the guardian of the family and only bails and barks if there is something she does not like or if she is given the guard command.. with the ferals around here it is one command I am glad to have given her. She does not do it with children, the elderly, women or family members and she does have a drop command.

That said this behaviour did not start until she was desexed and the 5yo started school.

I would either encourage it as in under a command word or discourage it completely. A dog that does it is just doing what comes naturally but i believe you must be in a control position to either remove the dog from the situation or have a drop command..

With the feral component we have around here and the time that she spends with myself and the 5YO on walks or at the park.. we have had reason to use the command when we were threatened.. she dropped immediately once the threat passed.

thanks people its the k9 one