Rimadil Warning

daccies

Hmm edited because it was from another site. BUt it looks like only adverts from other sites that can't be cross posted. Will put the link back up.

Not sure if this will come out, but it is a link to Our Dogs Online,

> where someone has posted a warning re the use of Rymadil in cases of

> IBD, Addisons or Cushings. .

>

>

>

>

> http://groups.msn.com/ourdogsonline/ourdogswebsite.msnw

Edited by daccies

THe link worked, but where the info. is isn't obvious.

A good reason for your vet to prescribe everything you give your dog- they should know all the reasons NOT to give any medication, too.

Not every dog should be on Rimadyl, but my toes curl every time I see people say they "don't want to give their dog antinflammatories" (not the OP!).

Under the right circumstances, they can give a lot of relief from pain to our dogs.

I work with humans with osteoarthritis who have to stop antinflammatories before hip/ knee replacement surgery- they are in a LOT of extra pain because of this.

I haven't actually looked at the website, however:

IBD often requires steroid treatment. All NSAIDs are contraindicated with the use of steroids. Not to mention that Rimadyl chewables are beef flavoured, so that discounts it's use beef allergic patients, along with the already present potential for their to be gastrointestinal ulceration in IBD patients.

Addison's requires steroid administration (admittedly, this is supposed to be at physiological levels to correct a deficiency). See above. Addision's can also lead to gastrointestinal problems.

Cushing's results from an increase in the body's own steroid levels. Dog with iatrogenic Cushings may have been administered very high doses of steroids. See above.

NSAIDs are very useful drugs, but they, like most other drugs are not without side effects and often used inappropriately.

Edited by Rappie