Problems With Arthritis Meds

scottie

My 7 year old Shepherd has recently been very lame on a front leg (couldn't even put paw to the ground)- X-rays confirmed she has early stage arthritis.

She's been put on Previcox & Joint Guard & I've also added one tablet of green lipped mussel to her food.

She rattles with meds as she is also on Creon for her EPI & Propalin for urinary incontinence.

Since starting the new meds she is incredibly flatulent, & this evening has a very upset tummy & has vomited extensively.

Anyone have any ideas or experience about which of the new meds is likely to be causing the problem & any alternative suggestions as to treatment options ?

Edited by scottie

Was the Previcox given with food? All the anti inflammatory medications need to be given with food (harsh on the stomach).

It's very effective for pain, but perhaps you can reduce the dose after about 6 weeks?

I think it takes about that long for supplements like Joint Guard to have a good effect.

I think the medications are probably the lesser of 2 evils- pain and incontinence would be pretty awful for your dog to live with :laugh:.

Can you phone the vet with your concerns? Because you dog has more than one health problem and is on multiple medications/ supplements, I'd be quicker than normal to go to the vet for advice.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

Are the Joint Guard and Green Lipped Mussel new as well as the Previcox? If they are perhaps you could try just adding the Previcox initially, then the Green Lipped Mussel as it can have a protective effect on the intestines in some, and then lastly the Joint Guard. This way you may be able to work out which one is causing the problem.

After a really horrible night - multiple attacks of diarrhea - we headed off to the vet this morning. Previcox is under the most suspicion as the cause, even though we did give it with food. She's been taken off it to see how she goes for a couple of days & been given something called Tagamat (?sp) to try & calm her guts down, along with electrolytes to rehydrate her. She doesn't seem 'ill' in herself if that makes sense - just violently upset intestinally.

Thanks for the mention of Cartrophen - sadly she's been on this for a bit & although it has made a bit of difference it's not been majorly effective.

Not sure that there's a drug in the pharmacy we haven't had for her !