Barf Basics

Mushaka

I know this Barf business has been done to death,but i couldnt find anything specific.

Ok, the question is, i have 1 staffy x ?(a little larger than pure), 1 pure staffy, and one Amstaff (x SBT but all the qualities looks size etc of AST).

I am wondering what would be considered enough for them all each meal.

I am just starting BARF today.

I bought chicken frames,eggs and tuna. I know sardines are best,but i cant get large enough tins,and have no fish shop close by,but will make a trip out to fish market soon for them.

What else should i mix in? Can someone with the same size or breed dogs as mine please give me some advice on what they would give their dogs?!

Up until now,i have fed the dogs on SD,rice and tuna.

Thanx

Lewis and Lyn I sympathise... I have been asking almost every dog person I know for about a month now just wanting to know how much of this raw stuff to feed my dog. I have also read the Billinghurst book, which clarified a few things, but still the AMOUNT I don't know.

Basically what people have been telling me, if your dog is getting fatter you're feeding too much, and if they're getting a bit thin, feed some more. I wish there was a magic recipe for each dog, but I can't find it.

Put in heaps of vegie pulp, and natural yoghurt. We started Buffy on yoghurt every few days last week as she had really bad flaky skin, and it's completely gone. I'm amazed at what this diet has done for her so quickly :o Good luck

I wish there was a magic recipe for each dog, but I can't find it.

There isnt one :o

Look at the dog and judge what you are doing wrong (if anything)

I like to see two ribs on my dogs, others like to see less, others more.

If the skin is healthy, coat shining, dog active and happy and at the right weight than you are doing the right thing.

I must say tho that Im a believer that the Missing Link is a very good supplement.

Edited by myszka

Thanx everyone. Glad to c im not the only one a little confused!

am looking forward to the fish markets to see what i can get there. Does anyone know if the guts n stuff of fish is good for the dogs? Maybe the fish markets sell it?

I was also wondering,with the chicken frames,can u give them frozen?

Just that i bout heaps,and i wonder if i can freeze them and if so,do i need to let thaw or just chuck em in the bowl lol.

Lewis and Lyn I sympathise... I have been asking almost every dog person I know for about a month now just wanting to know how much of this raw stuff to feed my dog. I have also read the Billinghurst book, which clarified a few things, but still the AMOUNT I don't know.

I have been told that as a very rough guideline, your dog will need to eat approximately about 2 - 3% of his ideal body weight per day in raw food. For my staffy, his ideal weight is about 18kg, so 2 - 3% is about 400g of food per day. This seems about right, in my limited experience.

Obviously, some dogs will need more food than this and some will need less, depending on their individual metabolisms, their activity levels, and depending on what exactly you're feeding them. But IMO the 2 - 3% guideline is a good place to start. As you said, you can then adjust upwards or downwards, depending on how thin or fat your dog is looking. :o

I have been told that as a very rough guideline, your dog will need to eat approximately about 2 - 3% of his ideal body weight per day in raw food. For my staffy, his ideal weight is about 18kg, so 2 - 3% is about 400g of food per day. This seems about right, in my limited experience.

Yup, one of mine is on 400g a day and his ideal weight is 20kg. My other gets fed a kilo a day based on 5% even though he is the same weight due to exercise levels and metabolism so is fed more.

My breakdown for Nova was 20 x .02 = .4 so 400g of food a day. Sometimes they get more when i add an egg or if i add sardines i take a little meat out.

Then i did

400 x .70 = 280g RMB (70% of 400g)

400 x .10 = 100g Meat

400 x .08 = 80g Offal

400 x .12 = 120g Veggie slush

This formula works for me and dogs are looking great on it, and Darcy (who eats a kilo) was a really picky eater who just couldnt put on weight because he didnt like the food he really loves this stuff :)

I feed my Staffords about 750g of food a day. Breakfast is 500g raw meaty bones or meat/offal and dinner is a BARF Pattie. Plus they get some healthy tablescraps. Sophie is two in October, she's always been lean as she's a very active girl. Banjo is 5 months and growing nicely.

Thanx everyone. Glad to c im not the only one a little confused!

am looking forward to the fish markets to see what i can get there. Does anyone know if the guts n stuff of fish is good for the dogs? Maybe the fish markets sell it?

I was also wondering,with the chicken frames,can u give them frozen?

Just that i bout heaps,and i wonder if i can freeze them and if so,do i need to let thaw or just chuck em in the bowl lol.

Woolies Home Brand Sardines are like 60 cents a tin - and I give my boys one tin between them maybe twice a week....

I wouldn't feed frozen chicken carcasses - I buy them in bulk - already frozen in a carton - I have to defrost them over at least a day and then I bag them up and freeze them again but individually - but I take them out the night before so they are thawed for breakfast.

again,great advice thanx. Sometimes it pays to ask direct questions instead of just reading old posts.

Again

Thanx to all.

If they tin fish,wouldnt they have preservatives? Would i not be better buying fresh from the fish market?

Im thinkin of buying a freezer for the dogs so i can go to fish market once a week and buy in bulk.

who makes thier own BARF patties? and what do u use? any good recipies?