Best Brush For This Type Of Fur?

I have a wire sort of brush as pictured for the dog as pictured.

Gypsys fur is like a wool coat, but not tightly curled. It does not shed and we get her clipped regularly, but not short, she still has a puppy coat at about 4 and a bit months old. We brush her every couple of days and she gets a bath once a week to keep her pretty, maybe once every 2 weeks depending.

Is this the best brush for her? She can get little knots and I imagine if we let her go for a month without a brush she would get pretty matted. The brush seems to work well, but it can be a little "harsh" if you know what I mean, which is good because ut gets the dead hair out, but I think it's a bit uncomfortable for her. Is there something more gentle that will still do the job?

post-19976-1191392510_thumb.jpg

post-19976-1191392922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gwinganna

What you have there is a slicker brush which is the best thing for poodle coats.

They come in a variety of types from ultra soft thru to hard.

Maybe you need to get one that is a bit softer until her adult coat comes through properly

What you have there is a slicker brush which is the best thing for poodle coats.

They come in a variety of types from ultra soft thru to hard.

Maybe you need to get one that is a bit softer until her adult coat comes through properly

Thanks Wylie. I got one opinion from the vet, and the dude at Pet Cafe at Clayfield said something different.

Don't ask a vet. There was someone filling in at our local vet's and they told me NOT to use a slicker on a poodle :birthday:. (Wrong!!).

You need a soft or very soft slicker (they also make firm ones suitbale for dogs wit undercoat etc.). Those Gripsoft ones come in both, so which is yours?

Using the slicker, you must part the fur, so you brush from skin outwards. If you run it through only the top layer(s) of fur, there will still be knots underneath.

After using the slicker, use a "greyhound" metal comb, or a "coarse" comb to check for knots and get any extra dead fur left in the coat.

Pet Network sell these ones: post-6819-1191395613_thumb.jpg

I have not used a comb on her, but I will get one and check what type of sliker I have. I doubt you would call it soft, its pretty firm, if fine, wire. She is knot free except for 2 little ones on her belly and one on her back leg I will get out tonight. Not tight matted knots, just a bit clumpy if that makes sense. She had enough lovin last night before I got to her tummy. I wouldn't mind trying a bristle brush too to see how it goes actually. Thanks for the tips.

Edited by Gwinganna

I really like the brushes from plushpuppy.com.au, if she is not knotty then perhaps a bristle brush is all you need.

Mel.

I don't think a bristle brush will allow you to get through the coat :birthday: .

I know it wouldn't get thru a poodle coat, for sure!

With the slicker- run it up your arm- it should leave little marks, but not be painful.