Help - I Need My Puppy To Walk On A Leash

:( I have had my puppy for about 10 days now, she is a rescue from a neglected abused litter with breed unknown. I have tried several different methods to get her to walk on a leash. I have clipped the leash onto her and let her drag it around she is happy to do this and couldn't care how long it is on. But once I try to take control and walk her she just drops to the ground I have tried to firmly presude her to follow but she just rolls onto her back. She will walk short distances for food rewards but then starts to jump to try to grab them so I seem to be rewarding bad behaviour of her jumping whilst on the leash. I really need some help quick because my daughter was devasted when our last dog died and all she wants us to do is take the dog for a walk. I have been training the dog twice a day with the sit, come and leash.

Any idea's appreciated.

She will walk short distances for food rewards but then starts to jump to try to grab them so I seem to be rewarding bad behaviour of her jumping whilst on the leash

Personally, I would be rewarding her before she gets to the jumping stage' ie after a few steps. I think your pup needs to build up confidence, so lots of praise at the apprioperate time :(

My pap was a little like that, and he is very toy driven ( and food haha) so I threw the toy when he was on the leash, and just tagged along with him to get the toy, but with him at my side. He got the idea pretty quickly, but I have no idea if doing it this way sets up bad behaviour in the long run for obedience etc.

I have no trouble now with him walking at heal, but I don't do anything 'officially' I just take the dog for a walk as such...

Just be patient and don't rush these things, 10 days is not that long.

Have the food down to her level so she won't jump up, as you walk reward, have her beside you, don't walk in front and try not to face her. So essentially you are both facing forward she is on one side of you and step forward when she takes a step, reward, keep doing this (your back will kill you to start off) as you are bending over to reward her with treats and praise, repeat this.

Only do it for about 10 minutes a day morning and afternoon. Positive steps. Patience and persaverence is the key to training. It takes a while for new dogs to settle in and more so when they come from a bad situation. Explain this to your daughter also, she may have to be patient also. :)

Puppy preschool is also another idea.

My rescue Jody had to learn all about the leash but she was a 7 year old 25kg labrador, and when they pull you just let go. :(