Fear Of Other Dogs

chloebear

Holly (rescured puppy) 4 months old is very scared when faced with other dogs. She is a large dog but when a mini foxy came over, she yelleped across patio , wet herself and hid. What can I do to overcome this? I don't know what caused this problem because I don't know her history.

Sam my beagle used to be scared of all dogs even the puppies in her puppy class, she used to hide behind me and shake when she was even in a room with them even if they didnt come near her.

Our vet told us to persevere and not push her and thats what we did just took it a step and a time and now she is great :laugh:

This does require a process of desensitisation and a building of positive association - coupled with a prevention of fear behaviour becoming worse.

You need to work at .... or just behind the pup's reaction threshold and you need to avoid inadvertently reinforcing fear behaviour, but you also need to reinforce the improved confident behaviour.

Please don't overface the pup - if you work too close in you are initiating the "flooding" technique and unless you really know how to do this properly and in its entirety (and it can be difficult for even knowledgeable and practiced trainers to be able to assess this too, as it is not like the dog changes colour to let us know what level of stress it is at) you can make the problem far worse and even less likely to be able to be remedied.

Holly will also need frequent and regular exposure to other dogs in a properly planned desensitisation program. Are you hooked up with a dog school with instructors who know and understand fear behaviours and how to remedy them?