Bones

can the american veterinary dental society then explain to us how we are supposed to care for the teeth? i dont think people want to brush their dogs teeth everyday and if they think kibble will do the job they must be kidding. whats wrong with feeding the right kind of bone in moderation?

A member of the American Veterinary Dental society of course. How else do they drum up business? ;)

Bear.

can the american veterinary dental society then explain to us how we are supposed to care for the teeth? i dont think people want to brush their dogs teeth everyday and if they think kibble will do the job they must be kidding. whats wrong with feeding the right kind of bone in moderation?

A member of the American Veterinary Dental society of course. How else do they drum up business? ;)

Bear.

In addition to being critical of the vested interests of the American Veterinary Association, I think there is a danger in overstating the positive benefits of bones.

Unfortunately, feeding bones doesn't guarantee clean teeth. My small dogs (chi x s and shelti x) have a chicken neck or wing each morning for breakfast plus additional bones periodically. Despite this, my shelti x's teeth still required another clean less than 12 months after her previous dental. She is a young dog 3 yrs, has a natural diet with no added sugars, preservatives or colours. I now clean with a toothbrush daily. I'm hoping this will do the trick. The two chi x's teeth have stayed clean on daily bones.

Di

In addition, I'll never give one of my chi x's chicken wings again after a small portion lodged in his throat. He is not a gulper, he chews his food, the chicken wings were raw and he is supervised while he eats but he still required surgery to remove the bone fragment. I know it may never occur again but cannot bring myself to take the risk.

I work in a veterinary practice and it really is one of the minor problems that occurs in dogs. I would recommend only giving your dog a bone when your at home. When it starts getting right down to the bone throw it away. Bones get stuck in dogs throats when they get brittle and they break into the bone itself rather than "grinding on the bone to clean their teeth". The bone marrow is also high in fat and not a good idea to be eaten by your dogs.

A substitute for bones is a product called "greenies" they have the same affect as bones, clean the teeth and prevent smell breath and expensive dentals but are less risky than bones.

These are available from vet practices also.

Hope this helps??? :D ;)