Barf Diets.

alananddora

Hi All,

Started out little one today on a BARF diet. My question is how much in terms of weight approximates 31/2 cups of dry food?

Usually she eats 3.5 cups - 350 grams per day and tonight fed her 220 grams of BARF so around 450 grams per day. Considering the water content of the BARF I thought this ratio would be appropriate - 350 dry, 450 wet.

She absolutely loved the BARF - sat licking the bowl after she had finished for almost 30 seconds before I pulled her off to the toilet!

Just in case - Jasmine a 15 week old GSD.

Also, does anyone have any good recipes for BARF? I bought the Dr Billingham patties today but want to make my own as well.

Thanks

Alan.

Hi All,

Started out little one today on a BARF diet. My question is how much in terms of weight approximates 31/2 cups of dry food?

Usually she eats 3.5 cups - 350 grams per day and tonight fed her 220 grams of BARF so around 450 grams per day. Considering the water content of the BARF I thought this ratio would be appropriate - 350 dry, 450 wet.

She absolutely loved the BARF - sat licking the bowl after she had finished for almost 30 seconds before I pulled her off to the toilet!

Just in case - Jasmine a 15 week old GSD.

Also, does anyone have any good recipes for BARF? I bought the Dr Billingham patties today but want to make my own as well.

Thanks

Alan.

Alan,

I am definately not an expert, but i feed both my dogs BARF.

Adults usually get between 2-3% of body weight.

I think for puppies it may be 5-8% of their adult weight. Keep an eye on her. If she gets ribby give her more. If she porks up a bit, cut down on the amount.

Hopefully others with more experience will answer too.

I started feeding Sam BARF about a month or so ago. I spoke to a breeder at the Adelaide Show thats why we moved to BARF in the first place, one of her beagles was the same build as Sam and she told me she fed her 1 patty so thats what I feed Sam, she has maintained her weight so it seems like the right amount.

Puppies usually are fed double or more than an adult for their size. So for an adult say 2% and for a puppy at least 4% but I fed alot more. I started my Stafford pup on 500g of food a day and increased it as he got bigger. There's no hard and fast rule. Just remember puppies always seem hungry but don't be tempted to overfeed.