Advice Needed Asap

sheree_e4

My dogs had a dissagreement eailer today :) and 2 are booked in to come to work (i am a vet nurse) with me tomorrow........................

Matilda chipped her canine tooth so it will more that likely be removed as the pulp is showing but I was wondering if anyone has had a cap/crown put on their dogs tooth?

We have never been asked to do this for the whole 14mths I have been nursing so there are some questions I would like answered if at all possible.

1.How long will a cap stay on for?(i mean will they last with a dog chewing bones etc)

2.cost?

3.do you regret not getting it capped?(those who opted to remove the tooth)

4.do you wish you had just got the tooth removed in the first place?(those who chose to get a cap done)

:p in advance

Edited by sheree_e4

sorry i can only answer for one side i've only ever had them removed when broken bad

i have no regrets at removing them once the tooth is removed and the gum healed i don't have to worry they may re-break the tooth and all mine have healed fine with no problems and now you wouldn't even know they have a tooth missing unless you look

the last one i had removed OH feed her a chicken frame two days later when i realised what he had done ran out to her in a panic thinking she wouldn't be able to eat it or it would hurt her gum and just as i got there she was crunching the last bit with no problems

is the reason you are wanting to cap the tooth is so you can show her? or other

dfa

is the reason you are wanting to cap the tooth is so you can show her? or other

dfa

She is a purebred Reg Koolie but cannot be shown as they can only be reg on the sporting register.ATM :thumbsup: maybe one day!

I was just wondering as I have not actually seen it done but have heard of it.

More for me I guess so she does not look 'different' to the others :laugh:

My dogs had a dissagreement eailer today :thumbsup: and 2 are booked in to come to work (i am a vet nurse) with me tomorrow........................

Matilda chipped her canine tooth so it will more that likely be removed as the pulp is showing but I was wondering if anyone has had a cap/crown put on their dogs tooth?

We have never been asked to do this for the whole 14mths I have been nursing so there are some questions I would like answered if at all possible.

1.How long will a cap stay on for?(i mean will they last with a dog chewing bones etc)

2.cost?

3.do you regret not getting it capped?(those who opted to remove the tooth)

4.do you wish you had just got the tooth removed in the first place?(those who chose to get a cap done)

:laugh: in advance

Hi,

One of our girls had a canine tooth removed. Hers was broken right up to the gum line. It was removed without problem. She had a pretty heavy general anasthetic for the op as apparently the canine tooth has a very large root. (I saw the root and it was twice as big as the removed tooth!)

We had to keep a close eye on it for a couple of weeks post op as a gaping hole is left behind (sometimes the vet may attempt to graft over the hole, as did my vet but it didnt take and the skin just fell away). Now she is absolutely fine. The hole eventually covers over and she eats whatever she likes including raw bones and rawhides. I would never have bothered with a cap, i really dont think it would effect your dogs quality of life at all. Cheers. I hope that helps. Good luck!

:laugh: Dogsforall and Baifra for sharing your experiences with me.

I guess I will just have to get used to the idea of having it removed :thumbsup: I wish they had never had that dissagreement :D then they would both still be in 100% health.

Yes it is distressing when your dog has to have an operation that wasn't anticipated. Our girl had the tooth removed as the result of a fight also. However she is a staffy and even when she is smiling her big staffy grin it is unnoticable.

honestly without lifting up her lips and looking you would not realise our girl was missing a tooth and some judges still don't notice

if you aren't showing her i would probably just get them to pull the tooth but that is me and we are all different

my vet gave me a cert to say the tooth had to be removed to show judges if they asked

we thought about getting a cap done but after weighing up pros and cons decided once out it was fixed for life but if capped may have to be re-fixed later and i didn't want unnecessary op's done the track just for a tooth

lets us know what your vet says tomorrow and roughly how much a cap would be if you don't mind

best of luck tomorrow matilda and please try not to stress your mum too much by doing those silly things

No worries,will update as to what happens and price of a cap tomorrow arvo at around 5.

hopefully all will go smoothly for Matilda and Kirah.

Kirah should only need antibiotics and possible stitch up if it does not close tonight and pain killers.

Matilda may need tooth extraction(highly likely),and antibiotics and pain killers.

Junior thank dog does not even bother getting involved with the girls arguments.

Thanx once again for your help :thumbsup:

Just wanted to let everyone know that both girls are fine-

Kirah is on antibiotics

Matilda had a tooth restoration - its not the same size as her other canine but looks great,she is also on antibiotics.Will update tomorrow with price and pix for those who are interested as I have not got the final bill yet.

Well obviously she had a GA and it took about 40 mins to do as she had a extreamly thin layer just before the pulp would have been open so I was really lucky.

so basically there is a glue type mixture which is applied first this is then set using a special light,then the putty stuff is mixed up and applied,this is also set with the light, once this is set a special drill piece is used to shape the tooth.

We got some great before and after shots I'm just waiting for them to be emailed to me.

I am so happy I chose to try this method I was told it was a bit more expensive than a removal but Matilda is worth every cent!!

I will give an update with pix asap.

Thanx DFA for your support ;)

ETA - funnily enough another dog came in today with the same problem so they are considering the same restoration after seeing how great the result for Matilda was.

Edited by sheree_e4

that is fantastic glad both girls are doing well

can't wait for pics def something i would consider in the future now

lucy's tooth was snapped at the gum line and had the pulp exposed and they said she woulda needed a root canal then restoration so i'm glad yours has been a lot easier

;)