Over Excited Puppy

Pandora

A few of you may remember when I posted about getting my puppy, Bundy, a kelpie x labrador.

She's around 7 months now, and she's grown so much!

I'd post pictures but Im at the library.

She's a smart dog (I think) but she does some pretty dumb things sometimes :(

She has so much energy, and I sometimes wonder if Im in over my head.

Any for the problems.

She gets much too over excited when Im outside playing with her, she may be okay at first then start getting crazy, or she could be crazy to begin with.

She jumps up and grabs the clothes you're wearing, or flesh, she barks, she nips heels, she grabs fingers..

(Please dont think Im a bad mother!)

She has been trained, she's been to puppy pre school (obedience school is next though), but she has a bit of selective hearing.

I have a hard time of getting her to actually listen to me, if I take her round to my dads house, he has no problem setting her straight (mind you, he's 50, tall, broad, deep voice..and has had 3 kids before!)

She's just been desexed, and I hoped that would calm her down a bit. It did for the first night back home. She was so drugged out :)

Is it me? Is she over excited or is she brimming over to aggressiveness?

Is she going through the teenage months yet? You know..rebellion, biting back, that kind of stuff?

She's an outside dog, unfortunately. Not my choice. My mum doesnt want her inside.

I dont know if that contributes to it or not, but I would rather her inside a lot more, more human contact.

But yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Family members give me their opinions all the time, and I do as they say, but a lot of the time things just dont seem to work.

Pandora,I would not say she has been trained at this stage and age.

If she gets a bit rough in your eyes,redirect her with a Toy or Ball.Throw a ball for her to give her an outlet for drive.

Next time your at your Father"s place take note of his aaproach with this Pup.Then compare how you handle the Pup.Note the differences between the two approaches.I would do some reading on pack dynamics,leadership and so on.Points to start at would be Authors such as Cesar Milan and Jan Fennel. Tony

She's been taught some basic commands, she's learning heel and stay at the moment (the latter being difficult)

I'll go to the library and try and find some books by those authors.

My dad is just a lot more confident with her, from the moment he first greeted her he was the boss and tough with her.

Whereas I coddled her a little when I brought her home..

Thanks for the tips. :D

Hi Pandora,

We have a bit of trouble with Gypsy getting really excited with people, she's getting better now though.

Whenever we come home (or someone comes over) Gypsy is made to sit before anyone gives her any attention, she is learning to do this straight away now without being told and gets it about 40% of the time (she is only 5 months old so i'm happy with that) and as long as we keep it up I'm sure she will get to 100%.

Whenever she gets a bit too much when we are playing I make her sit aswell, and when she is calm she gets a reward and the game starts again.

Anything with kelpie in the mix is more than likely going to be very high evergy. Does she get lots of walks, and how is she to walk?

Where in WA are you?

My vet explained to me that the way you talk to a dog has a lot to do with how the dog reacts to you. A dog makes three main noises, barking, whimping and growling. If you talk to a dog like you would a child you sound like you are whimping - ie dog takes no notice and gets anxious (this is what I was doing). Changed my tone, started to talk to dog like I would a fellow adult and yes I got a lot further. I only pat Holly when she sits, so she has quickly worked out that if she wants my attention she must sit to be patted, and she is starting to understand the same with my children, this only works with consistency. When I first let her out of the kennel of a morning she is very jumpy, a perfect time to play a ball game with her, run out the energy before she comes into contact with my children, so then she is happy to be patted and play nicely with the kids. Your dog has kelpie in it, a very active breed, have you tried throwing balls/frisbies.

Maybe check out the training section of the forum, and see what activities are good for active breeds.

Let your dog knows it hurts or behaviour is unacceptable by yelping loudly 'Ouch!", stop play and walk away until she calms down - a minute or so. Keep reinforcing for different behaviours. My little one goes through episodes of being on speed and utter exhaustion. I dont think their personalities change much, especially if not neutered. Mine's not neutered and is 7 months and is male. Lots of patience! He is well behaved but excitable. Playing fetch is a good idea. Dont use your body as a play thing, so use toys, chew sticks, squeeky toys - not your arms waving around as stimulation. Hope this helps!