Portosystematic Shunt.

Kaz

My 3 month old foxy foster pup looks like he may have to have a portosystematic shunt due to a problem to do with his liver function.

They are not sure until the test results are through but this seems like the most likely cause of his illness.

Just wondered if anyone here knows how much this is going to cost.

And has anyone been through this before with their dog?

My 3 month old foxy foster pup looks like he may have to have a portosystematic shunt due to a problem to do with his liver function.

They are not sure until the test results are through but this seems like the most likely cause of his illness.

Just wondered if anyone here knows how much this is going to cost.

And has anyone been through this before with their dog?

I have Pm'd you Kaz.

Yes, I have been through it Kaz. It's a tough decision whether to go ahead with surgery or let the poor baby go. The surgery is very expensive although if it is a success the problem is "cured". The earlier you catch it and have the operation, the better chance of a positive outcome.

In our case, we had the surgery and unfortunelty it was not 100% success. They place a band around the shunting vein and the first 24 hours is critical to see whether the band is successful. Initially in our case they had to open her up again at 24 hours and losen the band, so she is not 100% "cured". Needlesss to say she became a foster failure and after 15 months is still with us. She only eats prescription food, Hills LD but loves it so medical management of the problem is easy.

As much as I love her deeply, it would be a tough call whether to go through it again, and the cost would probably set you back about $4k.....

Good luck and I hope it is not a shunt