Enlarged Spleen Gsd

scottie

Took my GSD in for a regular Cartrophen injection today - she's put on a bit of weight ( I think due to recently being on lead exercise only as she has been lame) & before giving her the shot my vet felt her abdomen & thought that her spleen felt enlarged. She's now been ultra-sound checked & whilst her spleen is apparently definitely enlarged they can't see any signs of tumours or anything else 'nasty' on the ultrasound. We're running a complete blood screen to see if there are any markers for anything suspicious & are waiting on the results of this.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar & should I be asking for any further tests ? I know GSD's can be predisposed to tumours in the spleen but can an enlarged spleen also be of no significance particularly ?

Got the blood results back - all well apart from the fact that her white blood count is right down - not sure what the readings are in but hers is about 2.5 while the normal range is apparently between 5 & 12. Having another test tomorrow to recheck & see if they're stable or have gone up/down. Anyone ideas gratefully received !

I lost one of my gsd girls to spleen cancer quite a few years ago but her tumour was large as she showed no signs of being ill until the last moment. Sending lots of good vibes for your girl and please let us know what her results are.

I lost my last beautiful old girl to a tumor on her spleen.

Unfortunately we didn't know until she had internal bleeding and was in intense pain, so we didn't even check if it was cancer, given the high % that are.

I would think an enlarged spleen is a sign of something important. Good luck with her, whatever it is, it sounds like you've picked it up early, but sof's suggestion for an exploratory exam is a good one.