She Chews Everything- Except All Her Toys & Raw Hides!

Pei

My pup (approx 15 weeks) is hardly interested in her toys. I have brought her an assortment of dog toys (from Kongs & treat balls to ropes and squekies both rubber and plush!) She has had the same raw hide bones and pigs ears for three weeks and only plays with them sometimes when I am home and encourage the chewing, as soon as I stop playing, she leaves them.

But... she is obsessed with corners of furtniture, and most scary... electrical cords! I am worried that when she gets well and I can let her roam around the room,(she is recovering from a fracture and is kept in a baby play pen right now) that she is going to get electricuted.

Has anybody had this problem?

any ideas to stop this strange behaviour?

:rolleyes:

I tried heaps of different repellants with my GSD when he was a pup but nothing worked. He ate through the aircondition power cables (twice) and also the fish pond pump (he dug up the cables and then chewed through the covering and cables).

Do you have a good circuit breaker? I know that was the only thing that saved this dogs life ... and the fact he was cute otherwise I would have killed him many times over!!!!

Rest assured they do grow out of it. Maybe when you catch her at it give her a correction (verbal) or/and then entice her into a game with an acceptable chew toy. Does she like squeaky toys - my boy would instantly stop what he was going when he heard a squeak from his toy and could bolt over to play a game.

Edited by Tilly

Thankfully willow grew out of her obsession with cords, after killing my expensive keyboard cord, and the OH's phone charger :x

we just had to take most cords out of the equation and block of most of the rooms of the house when we werent there to supervise :D Now shes just addicted to her rope toys :rofl:

Clipsal (I think that's the brand) make a handy plastic strip that pulls apart - you run your electrical cable through it and clip it together to protect them. Perhaps try that until your dogs grows out of chewing.

You should be able to find it at Jaycar, tandy and dick smith, type shops. Maybe even Bunnings? It's really handy stuff - you can put double sided tape on the back of it and stick it along your skirting boards.

Edited by deltron

If you smell the cords they actually smell like mice my Boxers ued to chew them off everything, luckily for them we had a good trip out system, unlucky for me they cost me a fortune, I ended up spraying nilodour on them.