Stop Chew Sprays

Two questions

1) Do stop chew sprays really work and can anyone please reccommend one

2) Can chewing be trained out of a dog, I know that sounds a funny question so ill try and put it in perspective. Roxy has toys everywhere, rawhides and other chewable things everyday along with her RMB in the morning but still she chews everything she shouldnt........furniture, toilet rolls, pillows, socks and these things arent just laying around (well i spose the furniture is) she gets up on tables and beds to get these things to chew. I also realise this is a puppy chewing thing but has anyone had any luck in teaching a dog what to chew and what not

Who knows maybe im dreaming that i can fix this :thumbsup:

*watches thread with bated breath, holding chewed book and wearing socks with holes AAUUGHHH

:thumbsup: ;) :D

Im with you... Also sitting hereon my chewed chair at my chewed computer desk,surrounded by bits of tissue pieces,and a chewed margarine lid etc etc....

P.S Chew spray didnt work for me!

I have had some success with a spray from Pets direct, Its a non chew spray in a green bottle, but I have only used it on a dog that chewed themselves.

Maybe I dont have chewy dogs as my socks books ect are all in one peice. I have a pile of dog toys in the lounge for doggie pleasure. and these are the only things they are allowed to chew even if I have kids toys laying around or shoes. I have always found a quick ah ah in a loud growly voice as soon as theygo to do it has been enough.

You can always pick up the things she isnt allowed to chew and shut the toilet door to save the toilet paper.

PS. this only works for me inside if anything is left in the back yard the dogs will destroy it. Some one once told me its about boundries, the dogs wont chew my things inside as the relate to me as pack leader and they dont touch my things

It will give you somethng to do today LOL

The way I look at it is if I dont want the kids to touch something I move it, If I dont want the dogs to touch someting I move it.

ooh i do sympathise

i havent had a chewer for years but now i do!! and its just started in earnest

so everythings gone up high and again ..super vigilance...closing all doors and watching

its like toilet training...u gotta know where they are all the time

as for the yard

remove what u can ...and sacrifice the rest...

im not a gardener ( sorry dear dear departed Dad who was a great gardener !)...so the yard belongs to the dogs...none are serious diggers and the chewing at this stage seems to be restricted to sticks...

not one of the beds has been chewed...so im thankful for that

Well i spent alot of today moving things and sneaking behind the girl in question checking out what she was interested in. She is now watched like a hawk inside and well everything that is left outside i have decided to sacrifice for her wellbeing along with my sanity. Goodbye my lovely new shrubs (Im the idiot that thought they could survive her :D )

Dencorub or Vicks Rub on anything that you don't want chewed :thumbsup: Another method is when she is chewing something that shouldn't be take it away and replace it with one of her toys or chew things especially through the teething stages.

Good luck and yes they do grow out of it. :)

ok..i woke up to my ANTIQUE lounge chewed..Im going to have to hide this from my hubby. He is already peeved cause we spent the weekend fixing Indie boo boos.

I did buy a crate for Indie,but the old staffy took to it and sleeps there all the time. Maybe i need a new one for Indie and crate her over night? this is the only time she does stuff!

Indie is definatly colluding with the other dogs,making our bond harder to achieve,so maybe the respect issue needs to be addressed!?

I will try the vics on the electrical cords...they are what I am more worried about as I can't move them :)

I have now put all stuff up, and there is a toy basket that my kids glare at " we never had that many toys when WE were kids" :thumbsup: If I see him with something wrong, I am saying no and replacing with a toy or distract etc...

Thanks for starting this thread, Kingsleychi...it has given me a few more ideas. My last pup wasn't a chewer at all ( bar the time he killed my massage chair control and saved me from the killer thong)

I must say i have had some great help from this thread..........especially the taking off her and replacing with something she should be chewing............also the vicks on a few things has been great..........

We tried the whole dishwashing liquid on plants to stop her chewing but that didnt work :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

I have well chewed bottle of "true blue stop chew", it was about a quarter full when the wind blew it off a shelf outside and our lab pup (about 7 months old at the time) found it and proceeded to demonstrate the futility of its use.

I have well chewed bottle of "true blue stop chew", it was about a quarter full when the wind blew it off a shelf outside and our lab pup (about 7 months old at the time) found it and proceeded to demonstrate the futility of its use.

:):thumbsup::cheer:

bitter apple spray seems to do wonders... works on the dogs and the ferret...ferret would just chew through all the other sprays followed by my finger.

Hmmm i cant recall if i have used that or not,but will head down to my petstore today...i will try ANYTHING!!