Sleeping On A Hard Floor

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Hi all,

just a quick one, i was reading austen's query re crates and matresses and it occurred to me that my Newfie Turtle doesn't sleep on anything but the hard floor. I have tried putting a mat down for him and have resisted buying a bed for him as I'm not sure he'd use it. Is it bad for his bones? We live in the Kimberley so there's no fear of draft or anything like that.

just an odd little thought that popped into my head!

My BC has a nice bed etc for him, but chooses to sleep on the tiles in the ensuit.

He gets hot with all of that hair and that is the coolest place for him and I think this is your case being in the Kimberely.

Your dog is just lying in the coolest spot.

Wont do any harm. Heaps of newfie hair there for padding :thumbsup:

My Aussie Shepherd pup has lots of nice, soft, comfortable sleeping spots to choose from......he prefers the floorboards in our bedroom. He even pulled out the rug I put there for him, and laid on the boards where it had been.

Bruno will often sleep on the tiles in the living room, rather than on the bed or on the carpet or couch. Even on weekends when he nods off on the floor, I will say "hop on the couch", so he does, lasts five minutes, then gets back onto the tiles!

They just sleep wherever they are most comfortable, and at the moment the cool tiles seem to be the winning spot.

If your dog is uncomfortable he will find something softer to lie on (given that something softer is provided/available).

I'm another with a large breed that chooses to sleep on tiles sometimes. Also a thin rug. :rolleyes:

That said, I feel better knowing he's got a cushioned option. Sometimes you hear a "clunk" as he plonks down on the floor (elbows, I think) which probably isn't good.

Fur is actually good cushioning and one of the reasons to leave fur on a skinny, malnourished rescue (if at all possible).

My newf, at 8 years old, has almost never slept on anything but the carpet or kitchen floor (especially in summer).

He has had blankets and we recently bought a huge mat for him, which he will use on command only lol.

It's never done him any harm that I can see. And as long as the option of somewhere comfy is there.....

Oh he does get on the couch sometimes though!!