Should I Be Worried?

Rhi*Jak*Ed

Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything... Between work, study and my photography I just haven't really had the chance. But I'm here now because I wanted to see some opinions and/or advice if others found the time.

Jak is now 8 months old and in most respects is coming along really well. She sits, begs, drops, rollsover, fetches, shakes, loves swimming etc. But... she simply WON'T stop with the mouthing!

From the get go I've tried alot of things - putting terrible tasting stuff on my hands (because it's my hands that cop it), such as aerogard, have tried putting her in time out, ignoring her etc. Ignoring her seems to spur her on too and she'll keep nipping away to try and get my attention. I have tried redirecting it by substituting a toy also and yelping and turning away. These so far appear to have been unsuccessful because she is still doing it.

As she gets older I am starting to worry more and more about when people visit etc because she does it to them too (when she's excited) and they find it annoying, as do I. Once the excitement fades, so too does the mouthing.

A while I ago I saw the episode of It's Me or The Dog where Victoria helped out with the two english sheepdogs. They too got mouthy when playing etc and she yelped and ended play. This seemed to work for them. She also cut the owners' 'cuddle' time down to one cuddle per day, again having a positive effect.

Last night when I got home from work I decided to try this latter method - cutting Jak's cuddles down and basically just ignoring her. I felt like crap doing it but it was the first night EVER that she hasn't mouthed me. Not once, she didn't even try. She played by herself for a little while and then came and jumped up next to me on the couch. It was also the first time EVER that she just laid down next to me rather than trying to get me to play (um, usually by mouthing).

Am just wondering if the experienced here believe that I am likely to get results with this? I feel that I have tried many things in the past and have reached the point now where enough is enough. I can't put up with it anymore. She has learnt other things so quickly, yet this is something that she just doesn't seem to be grasping.

Thanks in advance.

Rhi & Jak

Last night when I got home from work I decided to try this latter method - cutting Jak's cuddles down and basically just ignoring her. I felt like crap doing it but it was the first night EVER that she hasn't mouthed me. Not once, she didn't even try.

I think you have answered your own quesion Rhi & Jak. At 8 months you need to have moved from being her 'mom' to being her leader, and 'leaders' have a certain attitude about them. They give attention when it suits them, not on demand. It can be hard for us touchy feely primate types not to cuddle all the time, but it looks like it makes your dog a more settled little soul so I'd be sticking with the approach for a while. Not that there shouldn't be cuddles, just not so much that it stirs your dog up and not without being earnt.

Hi Rhi & Jak,

Whilst I agree with the response below, there is a time and place for "mouthing". And providing it is gentle mouthing, not in the ring, not becoming excessive, and not harsh, (personally) I dont see a problem. Many of my adults still "mouth" as a sign of affection, to take me somewhere to show me something, or for many other intelligent reasons. Although it is NOT CONSTANT, and not harsh.

I know many will disagree with me but in certain breeds, this is also an expression of love, and so long as it doesnt become "an issue" or go further than "mouthing", then other ways of looking at this possibly should be considered. One way to stop is simply to put your hand on their head. They are simply looking for affection, and a way of you giving them love. As you say in your post

Between work, study and my photography I just haven't really had the chance.

Depends on the breed I suppose!

Only my humble opinion,

Debbi

Hi Rhi & Jak,

Whilst I agree with the response below, there is a time and place for "mouthing". And providing it is gentle mouthing, not in the ring, not becoming excessive, and not harsh, (personally) I dont see a problem. Many of my adults still "mouth" as a sign of affection, to take me somewhere to show me something, or for many other intelligent reasons. Although it is NOT CONSTANT, and not harsh.

I know many will disagree with me but in certain breeds, this is also an expression of love, and so long as it doesnt become "an issue" or go further than "mouthing", then other ways of looking at this possibly should be considered. One way to stop is simply to put your hand on their head. They are simply looking for affection, and a way of you giving them love. As you say in your post

Between work, study and my photography I just haven't really had the chance.

Depends on the breed I suppose!

Only my humble opinion,

Debbi

Well said Debbi :laugh: ;)

I have found a useful method, picked up at obedience. I hold food in my fist in front of puppy. She will mouth and sniff and bother at my hand. The moment she pulls away I give a "yes" to mark the good behaviour and then reward with the food. Repeat this until she has got the idea that if she waits she gets the food, if she bothers the hand she gets nothing. My pup very quickly worked out that in order to get what she wants she must sit and wait. Now if she, or any of my adult dogs, are jumping at me, which they tend to do as a group to get my attention, I just lift my head away and they will immediately sit in front of me. Then I will say "yes" and bend down to pat them. This also transfers to getting their dinner. I will just wait until they are sitting before giving them the food.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, I was sleepy :laugh:

At puppy school we were taught that to get rid of mouthing, you should actually get the puppy in the situation where it mouths, and then train it not to.

Rather than wait for mouthing to happen - you set it up so it does happen - like a training session.

And then you use whatever technique works to stop the puppy mouthing.

If the puppy doesn't respond to the negative reinforcement you choose, use a 'higher level' one.

So if saying 'no' doesn't work, move to scruffing the dog, if that doesn't work - try a lead correction etc.

We are currently using the coke can of doom when Charlie mouths us.

With him, mouthing happens when he is in play/prey drive. Being a hard headed terrier, he needs a high level correction to pull him out of that drive because he basically feels no pain, and has selective deafness when in drive.

Kyzer still does it, not so bad with me, still there though, I'm starting a 'no teeth on skin' policy just to make him realise it's not ot, it's hard though, because OH likes to wrestle with him and doesn't stop him from mouthing him.

Need to train them both :laugh:

I have discussed it with OH and he has agreed to not let him mouth him.

Last night when I got home from work I decided to try this latter method - cutting Jak's cuddles down and basically just ignoring her. I felt like crap doing it but it was the first night EVER that she hasn't mouthed me. Not once, she didn't even try.

I think you have answered your own quesion Rhi & Jak. At 8 months you need to have moved from being her 'mom' to being her leader, and 'leaders' have a certain attitude about them. They give attention when it suits them, not on demand. It can be hard for us touchy feely primate types not to cuddle all the time, but it looks like it makes your dog a more settled little soul so I'd be sticking with the approach for a while. Not that there shouldn't be cuddles, just not so much that it stirs your dog up and not without being earnt.

Yeah I think you're right Diva - too much attention from the very beginning, so she possibly is still of the opinion that she can dictate terms of affection. In other respects she appears to respect my leadership - she seems to really thrive with her training, always sits before receiving food or treats of any kind etc. I just need to carry that over to every other aspect too...

She's never been an overly affectionate dog, even when she was a pup - but when I look back, cuddles and pats etc have always been on her terms, not when I want them. And of course when she asks for them, she usually gets them (tsk tsk to me I know).

I will continue with the tough love and see how we go :-)