Pup Wont Go To Toilet With Leg In Plaster

Tibbiemax71

We had a call from a lady today who has adopted an 11 week old Rottweiler puppy from a rescue group, they left the puppy in the bathroom when they went out for the evening and when they came home the puppy had broken her back leg, so they took her to to the vet and she has it in plaster now.

They rang because they are now having problems with the puppy not wanting to go to the toilet, when they take her outside she wont go, she will finally go ages after they bring her back inside when she can no longer hold on. She said the vet gave her pain killers but maybe they are wearing off now as the pup is whining, she rang the vet today to ask them what to do about her not wanting to go to the toilet and they just told her to keep persisting. I told her to ring her vet again tomorrow as maybe she needs more pain killers?

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Pup is 11 weeks - how long have they had it and how far had toilet training already progressed before the injury?

Also how long 12 hours ? 2 days? since the plaster went on? What meds? The meds could be affecting behavior somewhat.

Difficult to give an answer on limited info given. I would be inclined to have indoor puppy pads or incontinence mats ready for indoor emergencies at this stage anyway. Puppy should be confined to indoor pen or similar to restrict activity while the leg is healing is this happening? Whining is more likely to be mental distress (confinement?) than pain I would imagine.

A crate is the safest way to confine the pup. I wonder if her reluctance to toilet has anything to do with the way she broke her leg in the bathroom. Did she jump on something and fall off, or maybe get caught in that small space behind the toilet?

It's a bit late to be making this comment now I guess but I wouldn't leave a pup in a bathroom if I was going out for the evening...all the surfaces are hard in a bathroom.

A crate would be helpful at this stage for the toileting problems too.

It's a bit late to be making this comment now I guess but I wouldn't leave a pup in a bathroom if I was going out for the evening...all the surfaces are hard in a bathroom.

I wouldn't be going out. She's only a baby. Just me, I couldn't leave a young one alone like that 'cause they can get into troubles that no one can predict or guess. Gawd she must be so beautiful, a rotti puppy. Good on the rescuers for helping her. Sorry I have no ideas about pain killers and went OT.

The story sound a bit sus to me.

Edited by WhiteEagle

Pup is 11 weeks - how long have they had it and how far had toilet training already progressed before the injury?

Also how long 12 hours ? 2 days? since the plaster went on? What meds? The meds could be affecting behavior somewhat.

Difficult to give an answer on limited info given. I would be inclined to have indoor puppy pads or incontinence mats ready for indoor emergencies at this stage anyway. Puppy should be confined to indoor pen or similar to restrict activity while the leg is healing is this happening? Whining is more likely to be mental distress (confinement?) than pain I would imagine.

The Plaster went on about 1am on Saturday, I think she said she only got the pup the day before the pup broke its leg. The pup is in a play pen at the moment.

A crate is the safest way to confine the pup. I wonder if her reluctance to toilet has anything to do with the way she broke her leg in the bathroom. Did she jump on something and fall off, or maybe get caught in that small space behind the toilet?

A crate would be helpful at this stage for the toileting problems too.

Yes I wondered the same, that the pup got her leg caught in the "U" bend part behind the toilet. No I wouldn't leave a pup in the bathroom if I had to go out, I would use the crate, but I guess these people didn't know better.

I wouldn't be going out. She's only a baby. Just me, I couldn't leave a young one alone like that 'cause they can get into troubles that no one can predict or guess. Gawd she must be so beautiful, a rotti puppy. Good on the rescuers for helping her. Sorry I have no ideas about pain killers and went OT.

The story sound a bit sus to me.

WhiteEagle, why does the story sound sus? I am merely relaying the story told to me over the phone.

The Plaster went on about 1am on Saturday, I think she said she only got the pup the day before the pup broke its leg. The pup is in a play pen at the moment.

I'm going to assume that the rescue/foster did have toilet training fairly advanced. It's not unusual for a pup to go backwards first couple of days in new home anyway plus the amount of trauma this pup had would shake up even an older dog.

Is this right? They went out for the evening Friday night - pup broke leg - came home & found it - raced to emergency vet - plastered early hours Sat morn - they phone you Sunday with the worry about toileting problems? I would side with the vet - give it a bit more time - pup is still probably in a bit of shock. They just need to be extra reassuring and patient for a while as pup might be scared of her own plastered leg. Go back to toilet training basic with her.

I would suggest they give pup plenty of toys/treat dispensers etc while in confinement to help distract her. The large breed people are saying that a crate would be better than a pen - could the rescue loan one to them maybe? Or could they hire one from their vet?

Guess they've learned their lesson the hard way about large breed pups and bathrooms. (Mind you I often recommend gated bathrooms/ensuites as temporary holding pens for Pugs where no pen/crate is available. I can see though where there could be dangers for a large breed active puppy.)

My large breed pup certainly wasn't toilet trained at 11 weeks.

The part about taking pup outside to toilet, but not going, sounds really common as a stage of toilet training.

I used to walk pup a little and this worked well, but not an option with the plaster, I guess.

Is it possible to use a sling to support the broken leg (for a hind leg, I'm not sure which leg it is)?

I'm going to assume that the rescue/foster did have toilet training fairly advanced. It's not unusual for a pup to go backwards first couple of days in new home anyway plus the amount of trauma this pup had would shake up even an older dog.

A pretty huge assumption there Ruralpug. I have had a number of large breed pups and not one of them was remotely near advanced toilet training at 11 weeks of age. Up until about 15 weeks of age is the frustrating stage of taking them outside frequently and playing the waiting game.

My last Rottweiler puppy was 15 weeks before she had a clue and I am not a novice at house training puppies.

Gotta say that I do find it unusual that someone would bring a puppy home and then shortly after, go out for the evening leaving the puppy alone. That was neither a caring nor responsible thing to do.

Since the adopters of the pup had committed to go out for the night I wonder why they didn't leave it until the following day to take the pup home.

Poor little pupper was taken away from everything it had come to know in its short life and was placed in a position of being put in a strange place with (or in this instance, without) strange people. I dare say the puppy was feeling fearful and displaced. I imagine the little one felt abandoned and possibly in a state of distress and panic.

I hope the people who adopted this little mite will lift their game in regard to caring for the puppy. They certainly got off to a bad start. I also hope that there will be no lasting negative affects on this poor little pup.

Edited by cavNrott