Itch Scratch Cycle

Two of my dogs have developed an itch rash cycle that I'd like to clear up.

Background: I'm fairly sure the initial irritant was grass seed/pollen. I'm also fairly sure that the irritant is no longer in our environment (susceptible dog coming back to farm hasn't re-developed rash). However two of my dogs have developed a fairly bad case of itch/scratch cycle. In the worst of the dogs, his ears have a couple of bloody scabs. There are also some spots of irritation on the front legs and on the side of the chest.

I went to the vet, got a course of Macrolone, which helped a little, but didn't cure the problem, now the Macrolone has run out and the problem has become worse.

I got a head cone to stop scratching of the ears (but didn't stop scratching of front legs and chest). The cone lasted 2 days before my dog destroyed it. During those two days there was significant improvement to the ears.

Currently: The nails on the back feet are what's being used to do the scratching, so I've just made some Denim booties and taped them over my dogs' back feet, figuring that enclosing the nails will prevent the scratching.

Future: I'm not really hopefully that the booties will stay on long. Knowing my dogs, they will chew them off pretty quickly. If this occurs, I'm planning to re-tape on the booties, then also tape together the back feet, so the dog will still be able to walk (small steps). like a hobbled horse, but not able to lift a back leg to scratch. I'm also planning to make a more robust "head cone" out of a plastic bucket. This will serve to protect the ears and also prevent the dogs' chewing at the booties on their back feet. I know it won't be pretty, but even if they need to be crated for a few days then so be it, this rash has gone on long enough and I need to clear it up now. I reckon 5-7 days will be all it takes for the rash to heal and thus to break the itch/scratch cycle.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the proposed treatment or alternative strategies much appreciated. (Would prefer not you use any more drugs if I can help it)

One of my gsd's had a very similar problem.Scratching used to drive me crazy,went on for around 18months.Off to vets and put her on Macrolone which controlled it but never stopped it.Wanted to get off the drugs and did try antihistimanes for a while.

Scratching has completely stopped now and i have put it down to going onto Nutro Lamb and Rice.She also no longer smells.She used to smell with a day of having a bath but now thats stopped as well

Good Luck

Julie

Hi WS :rolleyes: Been a while ;)

SWEDISH BITTERS - available from any health food store and sometimes supermarkets. Around $28 a bottle for 500mls. "Health through God's Pharmacy" :rofl:

I now swear by this after persistent itchies with my dogs (and helps humans too!). Tried all the vet products to no avail.

I just swab it on itchy areas neat but if the itchies are all over on bigger dogs like the setters, I'd dilute it and use it as a wash. They will smell a bit "herby" and it's yellow/brownish and stains. You won't notice it on the red dogs LOL but keep them off the cream sofas!

My pup had itchy ears - no mites or other nasties - scratched them until they were bloody and scabby. Just a mess. Someone reminded me of this product and I just whacked some on whenever she scratched them. The effect was immediate - no more scratching and the scabs were healing nicely within a day or 2 with no further interference from sharp little nails. You do have to be persistent so it's a little labour intensive but no worse than using Dermaveen or any other topical lotion.

TRY IT! :thumbsup:

Hi TT - yes it has been awhile - hope all is well in sunny Qld. Had a great autumn/winter down here, out on wild birds every weekend. Dogs were so hard and fit, the picture of health. Have slowed down a bit recently with the snakes and grass seeds (which are worse than the snakes).

Thanks for the swedish bitters tip, will give it a try.

Thanks also to kamuzz and 4paws, will give the herbal treatments and altered diet a go if the rash presists depite the booties and bitters.

Cheers,

WS

to stop chewing/biting I go for bitter apple spray

You can use quit itch/betadine to disinfect any really bad areas, also I use it to clean my ferrets nails when she scratches alot, seems to have helped with any bacteria gettin off her feet to her neck.

ALso if any rashes or really bad itching we use phenergan. Taz has grass allergies, Humphrey has wheat allergies and hayfever, and Xena had grass allergy on her belly for a week or so because her skin wasnt thick enough to deal with the grass. Used 1ml phenergan liquid on the pup, the other 2 get either a 10mg phenergan tablet or 5ml of the elixir and all gets better withing a few days. Only use the antihistamines when necessary though, if the rashes are really bad then once a day for 3-4 days.

One thing I have used recently which was surprisingly effective was 100% Aloe Vera Gel, made by 'Fruit Of The Earth'.

My dog was licking his front legs constantly after they had been shaved to put in an IV and anaesthetic - he licked them red raw over a period of a week - I applied the Aloe Vera gel before going to bed and his legs were about 80% better by the morning. I was amazed and because they were so much better and obviously felt better, he stopped licking them. So it worked well and quickly. :)

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

Dash looks GORGEOUS!!! :rainbowbridge: (Now, you just need a Retriever :laugh:)

Hot as hell and snakes everywhere WS :( You'd be glad you've moved :)

Excellent suggestions here :thumbsup: I will say that Swedish bitters does contain a fair amount of (medicinal) alcohol but if you look at the rest of the ingredients, I don't think you can go past it. Smells a lot like Quititch actually!

Aloe also works well but I found the dogs went from chewing themselves to licking all the Aloe off :thumbsup: Had the same issue with anything oatmeal! Gawd - they'd eat anything :laugh:

Dash looks GORGEOUS!!! :rofl: (Now, you just need a Retriever :thumbsup:)

Thanks - she's coming along a treat, bold as brass. Very pleased. Not sure about a retriever, maybe another ESS. My setters do a pretty fair impression of water dogs, they swim for miles (literally) here in the Murray.

Hot as hell and snakes everywhere WS :thumbsup: You'd be glad you've moved :thumbsup:

Not to mention the ticks and cane toads!! You're right - I'm in no hurry to exchange the freedom of 10,000 acres for the confines of Brisbane dog parks.

Aloe also works well but I found the dogs went from chewing themselves to licking all the Aloe off :thumbsup: Had the same issue with anything oatmeal! Gawd - they'd eat anything :thumbsup:

The solution that's working well for me is dog booties on the back feet (padding takes the damaging nails out of scratching) and a muzzle (prevents biting/licking of itchy skin, also stops the biting off of the booties and the eating of aloe/oatmeal based treatments). Couldn't find the bitters, but got good results with an oatmeal based shampoo. The plastic cone to prevent ear scratching only lasted 2 days and more robust bucket I modified only went 3!! Thankfully ears are healing up and with the booties in place, no further damage is being done. If I'm forced to use a ear protection in the future, not sure what I'll do - metal bucket??