Desexing, When Does A Puppy Come Into Season

chloebear

Holly is 4-5 months old, due for her second vaccination. My vet is looking to desex her the week after her second vaccination. When does a puppy start having seasons, I am wanting to desex her, but I am trying to work out how I am going to transport her home after the surgery as she is a large breed and has out grown the carrier that I was using so I need to get a crate made for the back of the ute (but can I bring her home that way after surgery, or should I see if she can stay at vets for couple of extra days afterwards). :)

The first Spring after birth- which is about 6-9 months.

You should desex late in this time period and not before 6 months.

Breeding should not commence for 18 months if you plan to breed your unspayed dog.

Spaying is a day surgey and you can bring her home that afternoon. She will be groggy or a little sore and just make sure she doesn't run a muck and keep her warm. one and a half to two weeks later she will have the stitches out :)

Don't feed her the night before or morning, but do so if vet says so. Also only feed a small meal a few hours after surgery.

Edited by Elizabeth Tasmania

There is no way of definitely knowing when a bitch will come into season. Anywhere between about 6 months and 14 months of age. Often a bitch will follow the pattern of the dam. Small breeds usually come in at a younger age than large breeds.

Large breed dogs are better left until the grow plates close. If the owner is responsible enough and comfortable with caring for a bitch in season until then. In smaller breeds around 6 months of age. Rescues and many breeders are now desexing as young as 8 weeks of age.

Breeding should not commence for 18 months if you plan to breed your unspayed dog.

Large breed dogs should not be bred under 2 years of age.

Spaying is a day surgey and you can bring her home that afternoon. She will be groggy or a little sore and just make sure she doesn't run a muck and keep her warm. one and a half to two weeks later she will have the stitches out :)

Follow the advice of your vet. Stitches are usually taken out after 10 days. In the case of disolving stitches a follow up by the vet will usually be around 10 days after surgery.

Don't feed her the night before or morning, but do so if vet says so. Also only feed a small meal a few hours after surgery.

For safety reasons dogs must be fasted prior to a general anaesthetic. In emergency cases this is not always possible

There is no way of definitely knowing when a bitch will come into season. Anywhere between about 6 months and 14 months of age. Often a bitch will follow the pattern of the dam. Small breeds usually come in at a younger age than large breeds.

Large breed dogs are better left until the grow plates close. If the owner is responsible enough and comfortable with caring for a bitch in season until then. In smaller breeds around 6 months of age. Rescues and many breeders are now desexing as young as 8 weeks of age.

you shouldn't desex earlier than 6 months.

Large breed dogs should not be bred under 2 years of age.

You usually state the minimum age, which is 18 months.

Spaying is a day surgey and you can bring her home that afternoon. She will be groggy or a little sore and just make sure she doesn't run a muck and keep her warm. one and a half to two weeks later she will have the stitches out ;)

Follow the advice of your vet. Stitches are usually taken out after 10 days. In the case of disolving stitches a follow up by the vet will usually be around 10 days after surgery.

10 days is a week and a half, is it not?

For safety reasons dogs must be fasted prior to a general anaesthetic. In emergency cases this is not always possible

erm i wasn't trying to replace her vet, i was GENERALLY speaking...

Edited by Elizabeth Tasmania

erm i wasn't trying to replace her vet, i was GENERALLY speaking...

The OP was asking for specific advice. General advice only cuts it if the person giving the advice is experienced with dogs and has good dog knowledge. You have admitted that you have never owned a dog but that your mother has. This really doesn't put you in good stead to be giving advice.

The first spring after birth is in no way accurate to predict when a dog will come into season. Don't know where you read that but it depends on when the dog was born and good guess is when the mother first came in.

desexing at 8 weeks is far too young and we both know that...

Nope. Wrong again ;) Rescuers desex 8 week old dogs all the time. It's not an ideal situation but the object of the exercise is to prevent even more litters of unwanted pups who end up in the pound. Many breeders are now also doing early desexing of their pups for the same reason.

Chloe, what does your breeder say?

My breeder said htat i should wait iuntil between 8-10 minths to get hunta speyed as her growing will be done.

Her breed, hamilton stovare, does not usually come into season until 12-14 months old.

I was under the impression that a lot of large breeds also came into season later.

If it was me, i would personally wait until your pup is 10-12 months old due to the growth she will be doing, but it is up to you.

Good luck, speka to your breeder.