Agility Club Of Wa

I was wondering can anyone recommend this club? Whats it like?

Im looking at doing the foundation class next year.

Im not sure about these 3 commands that your meant to be able to do before you start the class. Can anyone explain to me how you teach a dog these things?

Targeting : dog can be sent to a target on the ground and either touch with nose or paw

Targeting is a very easy and useful skill to teach your dog. This can be used when teaching contacts and is also useful for teaching distance work.

Directional commands : dog will move away to both left and right hand sides on command

An agility course may require you to have your dog on either your right or left hand side. This often means that during your run your dog will need to change from one side of you to the other. By teaching your dog directional commands we can communicate this to our dogs easily.

Flat work : dog will run on handlers left and right hand sides on inside and outside leads

If your dog will run on both your left and right hand sides when on the flat it should be very easy to then have your dog do the same but perform obstacles while on either side of you.

cheers

I suggest you go along next Tuesday and have a look for yourself. Beginners training is at 7pm and you will be able to see the different groups and see what happens at each level.

You can also discuss the 3 commands with one of the instructors and they should be able to give you a quick run down on how to teach them.

I think the last night for training is the 4th December.

How old is your dog ncarter?

I am doing the puppy foundation classes on the Tuesday nights, it is great fun and we are learning the basics on puppy-sized equipment.

I have noticed that when some older dogs come who have not done any agility training before they put them in the puppy class for a few weeks so they can learn the basics.

You can come down and suss it out. Talk to the instructors they will tell you your options.

Ptolomy is right, last day of training is 4th December

He is 15 months amypie. Ive done basic obedience with him. im not moving over there until the start of january. Its a good club right? Do you reckon I will need to buy any equipment or will I be able to get enough practice at the club? I still need to work on those 3 things plus recall so it might take me a while to get up to speed. Thanks guys

Edited by ncarter

There have been dogs in the puppy class that are 2 years plus.

I think it's a good club, I enjoy it :eek:

It's up to you if you want equipment at home or not, there are a few things you can practice without equipment, flatwork / groundwork etc. Also it is probably a good idea to attend a few training sessions first so you can learn how to use the equipment properly, body language etc.

I'm on a mission this weekend to make some equipment to practice on over the break, a little a-frame, low jumps, and I'm getting a tunnel off ebay. Yay for having an OH who can weld and get steel for me :eek:

It's $60 annually and no other fees for the classes, it's all included in the one membership cost.

Do you have a Papillon?

wow that seems cheap. You can only use their equipment when the classes are on right?

yes i've got a papillon. we have done puppy class and 2 obedience classes now im looking for something a bit more fun and challenging. I think it may take me a lot of training over summer to get him to a level where he can do the foundation agility class. The BC's are so good at it, so it seems a bit daunting.

There is a Pap over here that is doing Agility, his name is Rocket, he has a few titles I think.

Pap's can be great at agility. I look forward to meeting yours :thumbsup:

Yeah you use their equipment during class, it gets packed away at the end of each class.

You will be taught how to do those things in class (don't know why they are prerequisites!) :D ACWA is a good club. I would suggest having at least weave poles and a jump to practise with in between lessons though :D

To find more information do a search (google) for "dog targeting", it would take me too long to type it.

The directional commands are taught by getting the dog to do a spin in the correct direction on command :D I use "back" for my dog to turn left and "turn" for my dog to turn right. Start with luring the spin until you can get it consistently, then add the command while luring and then try and phase out the luring.

The last thing is just to get your dog used to working on either side (as apposed to obedience when they are only on the left hand side). Start with just a few steps and then reward :love: You use the hand closest to the dog to indicate which side and to treat when they are doing things correctly.

Good luck.