What To Pay For A Clicker?

Ellis

Hi

Just wondering what people expect to pay for a clicker? Was speaking to someone today & they said the pet store they went to was $10.95 & their dog training club was $5.

Seemed like a bit of a difference to me. I thought they would all be the same kind of thing as in one would not do more than the other, they just click that is it.

Anyone?

I got one (two actually) from a pet supply shop for $7 each. They are an i-clicker, which is one with an exposed button, so you can use your foot to click it, though the negative is that it is easier to accidentally click :laugh: . I think the 'normal' clickers were cheaper - about $5.

If you happen to come up this way on holiday I can tell you where to get them. :laugh:

Edited by Belijae

So there are different types of clickers?

So if you can click it with your foot that leaves to hands free. I don't know much about training, is there a lot of times when you need two hands free? I guess if you were teaching hand signals you would.

Starting out, it can be tricky to hold lead and food and clicker and use everything without dropping food, getting tangled and then having to worry about timing for your clicks, but having said that, the use your foot feature is only beneficial if your standing still... or maybe tie it to your leg and drag it around, stomping on it when you want to mark something. :laugh:

Edited by Belijae

If you are going to go for clickers, IMO the "i-clicker" is better than the standard clicker. It can take an extra second to find the hole and 'click' with the standard clickers. It's easier and faster with the i-clicker, as it really doesn't matter too much how you are holding it .... you can still 'click'.

Here is a link that will show you what the i-click clicker looks like and some info too...

i-click

ETA - that's a good point Erny. I haven't used a normal clicker, so that is a problem I had not considered in my earlier posts.

Edited by Belijae

My club sells the standard ones (BlackDog brand) for $2. I bought an adjustable sound one (4 different volumes) with an exposed button for about $6 from Kmart. Certainly not something I would spend much money on, especially as I lose them so easily. I know I have about 10 of them somewhere but do you think I could find one to take to agility last night? I know I had one at training on Thursday and was using a different one on Tuesday so there have to be at least 2 of them not buried under huge piles of stuff but doG knows where.

Thanks for the link Belijae. I think that is what she bought for $5. It had a spiral wrist band on it too. I remember the holes under the button because I was trying to look inside to see how it worked. There was different colours.

May have to get one next week at obedience.