Entire Male Occasional Wetting While Sleeping

Schnapps

I have read all the incontinence problems with dogs but it most always seems to be in females.

I have a 6yr old entire male who occasionally wets while he is sleeping.

It doesn't happen all the time but it is most annoying.

Any thoughts?

My old boy Reagan went through a phase of this when he was 3 or 4 years old (at a guess, he is 13 now so hard to remember for sure! :D ) I remember it was really hard to work out what to do as sometimes it would be a couple of months or more without it happening and then there might be 2 or 3 incidents in a week, and as far as we ever worked out only at night time. When we spoke to the vet he was a bit unsure as well, as it is normally a female thing. He had not recently been desexed or had any infections or anything so no apparent cause for it. We couldn't work out any pattern as to when it happened. The vet ended up deciding to give him a low dose of hormones. Apparently this is what they do with some bitches that have the issue. He had to have something like a half a tablet twice a week for about 4 weeks. He said if that didn't work then he would seek further information. But of course as it was so infrequent it was about 6 months before we knew for sure.

Whether it was the hormone tablets or he just grew out of it/got over whatever was causing it, it has not happened again since. Now we are just staring to get some old dog incontinence - gets a bit like having a pup around. If he knocks on the door to go out, you better get there quick cos he needs out NOW. lol

Good luck with working it out. Hopefully it is as easily resolved for you as it was for us, and yes it is very annoying when it happens.

Definately get the vet to check for infection and/or prostate problems.

Our rottie started with wetting when he was over excited which continued to a little drip most of the time. As he drippled for so long we didn't worry about it too much and just learnt to live with it. It wasn't until he didn't dripple one day that I rushed him off to the vet. He was diagnosed with a massive lump in his prostate. Without tests the vet wasn't sure if it was an enlarged prostate or a tumour - so we had him chemically castrated just incase it was an enlaged prostate but the vet was pretty sure it was a tumour. It turned out to be a tumour and he died in June this year.

Getting him desexed might be an option to consider. We didn't have our male desexed decause he was a working security dog. When he retired we didn't want to put him through the trauma of the operation - due to his age.

Definately better to get things check out now and look at all the options.

Edited by Tilly